Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

If you could only pick one class, what would you pick? PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post

My first son was born in a hospital, and I was so unprepared for labor that I got an epi right away at 6cm.  Yep, I went that fast.  Had I known I only had two hours left, I would have skipped it, but the nurse told me it could still take hours upon hours, so I got it.  My son's heart rate declined, the alarms went off multiple times, I was put on oxygen, couldn't feel to push, got a 3rd degree epesiotomy, and they gave me phenargin right afterwards because I threw up, and that knocked me out for the first 8 hours of my son's life.  Needless to say, I don't want to go through that again.

Because all that stuff (and more) happened in my last delivery, the one and only birth center within an hour of me won't take me.  But there is a hospital that has a great midwifery program, and they allow water births.  I plan to have a natural delivery in this hosptial, and since this hospital is known for being the place to go for no interventions, I know it will happen easily without hopspital/nurse interferance.  

I want to be more prepared for labor though, so I'm wondering what class I should take.  I considered hypnobirthing, but I've been told that's a great method, till you get out of your "zone".  I've heard great things about the Bradley Method, but I don't really know much about it.  I can only take one class, and because they're so popular at the hospital I kind of need to make sure I'm registered within the next month.  Are there other classes that you would recommend over those?  Can you tell me the pros and cons of each method you're aware of?  

If I'm determined, I know I can do it with no interventions at this hospital.  But all it takes is a moment of weakness for me to ask for something and since I'm in a hospital, it can be given in a heartbeat.  I don't want that!  I plan on hiring a doula as well.

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Replies (11-17):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:33 AM

bradley!

Hyman
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM
I did hypnobirth. Loved it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cnichols11
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM
I'm taking Bradley now and love it so far...this is my first so not sure how the end result will be just yet :)
Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I liked the Bradley method. It's really personal preference.

Erica_Smerica
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM

This is super helpful. At what point in the pregnancy do you recommend taking the class?

Quoting sarah4gandh:

I teach the Bradley Method and if you have a supportive husband it is a great class to take. Its 12 weeks long and can be pricey, but you are essentially getting about 24 hours of class time since its once a week for about 2 hours. Its extremely informative and I loved the class- thats why I becmae a teacher of it. So pros- a great class an it has an 87% success rate (meaning 87% of couples who take the class have an unmedicated vaginal birth). cons- length and cost. Good luck with your decision! Feel free to message me if you have any questions regarding the method! 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I would take bradley and get the CDs and books on hypobirth and read/study that at home

sarah4gandh
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Between weeks 20 and 28 of pregnancy, so its fresh on you rmind during labor.

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

This is super helpful. At what point in the pregnancy do you recommend taking the class?

Quoting sarah4gandh:

I teach the Bradley Method and if you have a supportive husband it is a great class to take. Its 12 weeks long and can be pricey, but you are essentially getting about 24 hours of class time since its once a week for about 2 hours. Its extremely informative and I loved the class- thats why I becmae a teacher of it. So pros- a great class an it has an 87% success rate (meaning 87% of couples who take the class have an unmedicated vaginal birth). cons- length and cost. Good luck with your decision! Feel free to message me if you have any questions regarding the method! 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)