Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

natural way to keep mice away? I don't want to use rat poison..

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM
  • 22 Replies
Hey my df and I have move send are renovating our new home..before we moved in it hat been a Sheriff sale home..um so practically abandoned...and there were admit of mice in here not to mention having to re do tons of plumbing and watt not...so we have a puppy and a cat and a five year old who I don't want exposed to poison...or eat any deadly dead rats....help! df is adamant to use poison...I want another option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsAdorkable
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Found this on google:

Herbal mouse repellents 
Mice are said to hate the smell and taste of cayenne pepper, peppermint and cloves. Lightly soak some cotton balls in oils from one or more of these foods and leave the cotton balls in places where you've had problems with mice. Another option is to make cheesecloth sachets from dry cayenne, mint, and whole cloves and leave them in places where mice are, such as under beds and corners.

Ammonia 
Ammonia is thought to get rid of mice because it smells like the urine of a possible predators. Fill caps from plastic bottles with ammonia and leave them out anywhere mice might be tempted to enter, such the pantry or under the sink.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
LOL I think that cat needs to earn it's keep.

IDK we got a cat for that reason, they are barn cats to keep the mice out of our chicken feed, Ect.

Close up holes that they can get in threw is about the best natural thing you can do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spitfire06
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Lol I feel the same way about the cat =p..we have never had our own mice problems before...lol so shes done well thus far

Quoting snowangel1979:

IDK we got a cat for that reason, they are barn cats to keep the mice out of our chicken feed, Ect.

Close up holes that they can get in threw is about the best natural thing you can do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spitfire06
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Thank you so much =)

Quoting MrsAdorkable:

Found this on google:

Herbal mouse repellents 
Mice are said to hate the smell and taste of cayenne pepper, peppermint and cloves. Lightly soak some cotton balls in oils from one or more of these foods and leave the cotton balls in places where you've had problems with mice. Another option is to make cheesecloth sachets from dry cayenne, mint, and whole cloves and leave them in places where mice are, such as under beds and corners.

Ammonia 
Ammonia is thought to get rid of mice because it smells like the urine of a possible predators. Fill caps from plastic bottles with ammonia and leave them out anywhere mice might be tempted to enter, such the pantry or under the sink.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
We had attic rats and tried every natural, non-poison or physically cruel methods we could find. They worked temporarily but they always seemed to return. We found a local Eco-pest removal service. They did use poison but they were in "safe" boxes. They also tracked the rats and closed all access points. That was 3yrs ago and so far they have not returned. Best of luck finding what works for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM
LOL . We got our two cats in June because chipmucks, mice and country rats were always in our garage/barn. We haven't had a problem since we got them. I hate rats they freak me out.

The chipmunks used to throw the posion on the floor and one of my dogs kept eating it. Luckily she never ate enough to do any damage to her.

One is good the other one just sits at the back door wanting to come in. He's bound and determined to be an inside cat.

Have you moved in yet, just the cat being there may keep them away. IDK I don't like the idea of poison, you can end up with dead mice in your walls. Yuck.

Quoting spitfire06:

Lol I feel the same way about the cat =p..we have never had our own mice problems before...lol so shes done well thus far

Quoting snowangel1979:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I thought the same! 

Quoting snowangel1979: LOL I think that cat needs to earn it's keep. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM
More cats. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaxMomma78
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Seal up ALL Ur food in Tupperware containers. And make sure Ur on top of cleaning up kitchen scraps. Put Ur trash outside sealed up. Basically if they don't have anything to eat they will leave to look for food. Also try to find their nest and get rid of it. Spray peppermint in places they tend to go.
This kind of works. It depends on how badly infested u r. To be honest if it's bad the only thing that really works is poison, unfortunately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 3:06 AM
Cats are ridiculously attracted to mint though so maybe try one of the others

Quoting MrsAdorkable:

Found this on google:

Herbal mouse repellents 

Ammonia 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)