Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How many of you had a doula?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM
  • 22 Replies

Or thought about it?

I'm about to start my certification for being a doula and I'm interested to know what your experience was, and why you chose to have a doula, or decided against it. 

You'd really be helping me out with any information you couls provide!!

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

i had a doula with my youngest. i was having an unassisted birth and wanted the support from someone who knew and trusted birth and it helped she had her own (accidental) uc.  And it was such a great experience that I am now a doula myself.

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM
My mw assistants are doulas does that count?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckyme7
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Didn't have one for my first which ended with in a c section. Had one for my vbac and it was a great decision.
bbmkfo03
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM
3 moms liked this

I chose a doula this time around b/c I am really wanting a natural birth. At the time when I hired her, I was still seeing an OB at one of the worst hospitals in town (for natural birth) but I didn't know that until she educated me. My doula led me to the practice of midwives that I'm now seeing & I'm so happy. I'm only 36 weeks but I know that my doula will be awesome during the birth b/c she's already proven to be a great source of knowledge and support so far!!

ElleLuvsOrchids
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM

One of my best friends is a family practice and holistic medical doctor who will be acting as my doula.  She, I and my DH are trained in HypnoBirthing and I've chosen a hospital L&D because of their midwifery model of care.  I would have hired a doula if it were not for my friend.  We are all looking forward to working with the midwives.  It's such a different experience from working with a traditional OB/GYN practice.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I never had one, DH wanted as little people as possible. I really wish I had one for the hospital birth I had. Anyways, I am considering being a doula when the kids are older. I was at several births taking pictures that had doulas.

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I am nearly 33 weeks, so no birth has taken place yet, but I have "hired" a doula. We've met several times, had a lot of discussions about everything under the sun, and she helped me revise my birth plan. She also let me borrow a couple of books from her personal library. :)

I chose to have a doula because this is our first baby, and I think having additional support for not only myself, but also for my husband, is a fantastic idea. My husband was hesitant at first, because he thought that the idea was that the doula would take his place in the birthing room. Once we met with her and he realised that wasn't the case, he was in 100%. 

littlelambe2
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM

With my first, I did not hire a doula (but I did think of it) because my mom stood in that role during labor and birth. (DH didn't want to be in the delivery room). She had 4 kids naturally, with no drugs, and is headstrong enough that I knew she would stand up for whatever I preferred.

This pregnancy, my mom is not available, so I did hire a doula (who has had 7 natural drug-free births herself!!). My reasons are more for peace of mind that I won't be bugged much during labor and that I will only have to say my choice(s) once and she can remind those that ask again of my answer. I don't tend to like a lot of physical contact during labor, and I don't generally like to be touched. This time, I am thankful for the doula because she has training in difficult births and how to use different positions to my advantage to get baby out and down. My mom did not have that training, or the much knowledge, but I didn't need it my first time around. My first birth went so easy so I'm a little nervous about this one! ha ha.

TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I had a doula. If I don't get my homebirth this time and have to go back to the hospital, I'll hire a doula again. She was absolutely central to creating the safe space I needed in my intervention-happy hospital to have my hypnobirth. I'm a BIG fan of doulas and recommend them whenever I can. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orangeshirt
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM
I plan to. I've done doula work and know how important a role doulas play, regardless of birth method or locale.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)