Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

looks like the new AAP statement about circumcision is out :(

Posted by   + Show Post

Saw this on Saving Our Sons.

It's a sad day when paychecks are more important than protecting the rights of our most vulnerable to bodily autonomy :(

On a positive note, they are still not recommending it routinely... just stating that they believe it needs to be available for families who choose it.

Abstract

Male circumcision is a common procedure, generally performed during the newborn period in the United States. In 2007, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) formed a multidisciplinary task force of AAP members and other stakeholders to evaluate the recent evidence on male circumcision and update the Academy’s 1999 recommendations in this area. Evaluation of current evidence indicates that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks and that the procedure’s benefits justify access to this procedure for families who choose it. Specific benefits identified included prevention of urinary tract infections, penile cancer, and transmission of some sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has endorsed this statement.

Policy Statement

Systematic evaluation of English-language peer-reviewed literature from 1995 through 2010 indicates that preventive health benefits of elective circumcision of male newborns outweigh the risks of the procedure. Benefits include significant reductions in the risk of urinary tract infection in the first year of life and, subsequently, in the risk of heterosexual acquisition of HIV and the transmission of other sexually transmitted infections.

The procedure is well tolerated when performed by trained professionals under sterile conditions with appropriate pain management. Complications are infrequent; most are minor, and severe complications are rare. Male circumcision performed during the newborn period has considerably lower complication rates than when performed later in life.

Although health benefits are not great enough to recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns, the benefits of circumcision are sufficient to justify access to this procedure for families choosing it and to warrant third-party payment for circumcision of male newborns. It is important that clinicians routinely inform parents of the health benefits and risks of male newborn circumcision in an unbiased and accurate manner.

Parents ultimately should decide whether circumcision is in the best interests of their male child. They will need to weigh medical information in the context of their own religious, ethical, and cultural beliefs and practices. The medical benefits alone may not outweigh these other considerations for individual families.

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Replies (41-48):
_muffin_
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Parents ultimately should decide whether circumcision is in the best interests of their male child. They will need to weigh medical information in the context of their own religious, ethical, and cultural beliefs and practices. The medical benefits alone may not outweigh these other considerations for individual families.

So... they are not forcing anyone to do anything. No one forced me to have a hospital birth just like no one forced me to have a homebirth. Why are people getting so worked up about this? They say "you decide what is right for your family." Why is that wrong?

cemcnair
by Courtney on Aug. 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Wow. Really Tabi?!? It is the same thing even if not always extreme for the male! Some types of female circ'ing is also not as devastating, but it is still illegal. Did you hear about the twins boys who had to have their penises amputated because of poorly performed circumcisions-pretty sure that renders them sexually incapable.

I get that you circ your boys, but both issues (male and female) at the core are human rights issues. Both should be protected, and they will always be compared. 

Information supporting female circumcision contains the same "benefits" that are listed when discussing male circumcision!

Not compare them, smh!!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Because female circ for sure has no benefits, because fof females it leads to pain and infections the rest of their lives, because for females there is no reasoon besides to make a female not want sex. I understand some circ benefit for males was to prevent masterbation at one time but my hubby is cut and yet though its tmi he has no probs masterbating. Females it renders them sexually almost impossible, men it may desensitize but vast majority can have sex and enjoy it no prob. Female and male circ should not even be compared

Quoting cemcnair:

The foreskin is just as gone and the damage just as real even if you "did it for religious reasons". Just saying.

Baby girls are protected even against their parents religious beliefs. Why not boys?!?

Quoting moroccanmommy:

What u call mutilation is a religious and or tradition step to others. please be aware of your words ..and I direct this to all. Everyone can and should have opinions ...is doesn't mean your right or wrong. The kids are part of your family.

For years it was thought only poor children were not circumsiced. Due to the extra cost. Now there seems to be a fad to not circ.

Again YOUR choice.

Quoting cemcnair:

You know-this is pretty much the same stance they've always taken. It's not beneficial enough to make it routine, but by all means, mutilate your kid if you want. Hasn't that always been their recommendation?!?

Also join us in these other great groups!

Crunchy Moms *Raising Intact Boys*  Babies Love Boobies

Have a March 2013 baby on the way? Join us in

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM
I honestly dont support any circing, i dont want to circ any future boys and basically have hubby in agreement. I understand that surgeries can be botched and that reasons some people give for fgm are the same and just as foolish, but the two are very different things. I was curious about it and did lots of research. Not the same at all. Male circumcision is not meant to remove sexual pleasure, it may dull it but for someone who knows no difference the dulling is not noticeable, for for a female its meant to cause painful sex nine times out of ten.

Comparing the two always messes up the arguments...its better to leave fgm out of the issue all together. If people want to change minds about circing calling it mutilation wont do it. Not if their spouse is circed, not if they circed their other child, not if their religion says to, it will take non extremists wording and true facts to win them over. Believe me all the mutilation and torture wordings turned me away from even researching. It wasnt until someone witha rational head gave me info and links that didnt scream child abuser that i changed my mind.

There are many decisions as parents we make that could be seen as a humans right thing.

Quoting cemcnair:

Wow. Really Tabi?!? It is the same thing even if not always extreme for the male! Some types of female circ'ing is also not as devastating, but it is still illegal. Did you hear about the twins boys who had to have their penises amputated because of poorly performed circumcisions-pretty sure that renders them sexually incapable.

I get that you circ your boys, but both issues (male and female) at the core are human rights issues. Both should be protected, and they will always be compared. 

Information supporting female circumcision contains the same "benefits" that are listed when discussing male circumcision!

Not compare them, smh!!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Because female circ for sure has no benefits, because fof females it leads to pain and infections the rest of their lives, because for females there is no reasoon besides to make a female not want sex. I understand some circ benefit for males was to prevent masterbation at one time but my hubby is cut and yet though its tmi he has no probs masterbating. Females it renders them sexually almost impossible, men it may desensitize but vast majority can have sex and enjoy it no prob. Female and male circ should not even be compared

Quoting cemcnair:

The foreskin is just as gone and the damage just as real even if you "did it for religious reasons". Just saying.

Baby girls are protected even against their parents religious beliefs. Why not boys?!?

Quoting moroccanmommy:

What u call mutilation is a religious and or tradition step to others. please be aware of your words ..and I direct this to all. Everyone can and should have opinions ...is doesn't mean your right or wrong. The kids are part of your family.

For years it was thought only poor children were not circumsiced. Due to the extra cost. Now there seems to be a fad to not circ.

Again YOUR choice.

Quoting cemcnair:

You know-this is pretty much the same stance they've always taken. It's not beneficial enough to make it routine, but by all means, mutilate your kid if you want. Hasn't that always been their recommendation?!?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Quoting _muffin_:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

So... they are not forcing anyone to do anything. No one forced me to have a hospital birth just like no one forced me to have a homebirth. Why are people getting so worked up about this? They say "you decide what is right for your family." Why is that wrong?

Because they are also stating that the health benefits are significant which is based upon a flawed study. The whole statement is done out of financial interests.

Hyman
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM
I'm not confused by the new statement bc it's essentially what the aap always felt.

I thought the aap does not advise circ. I don't know why, I guess I thought I read that.

Now they state it reduces disease and illness- people unlike me, who haven't researched it to death, will be confused and think the medical community says it reduces disease, therefor it's cleanest and healthiest to circ.

I did not circ my son. He is one and is perfect. I feel that his body is his and it's not my choice to make.

My husband is circ and wanted our son circ, but I've really told him all my reasons and he is sueded by me :)

If he were to read this tho, I would have a hard time arguing that I am right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taurusmom88
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM

i was 19 when i had my son. i didn't know either way. i was told there are medical benefits, so i did it. we didn't do it at the hospital, we did it at his clinic when he was a week old. they wouldn't allow the parents in the room, and i could still hear is blood curtling screams from the room i was in. it was traumatizing for me, and im sure the same for him. i felt so bad. i don't know where my husband stands on circ, but he is. but i really don't know if i can actually go through that again, and for something that i really don't see nessesary.

marynash88
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Except it is also against  the law for a parent to choose to do a ritual pinprick on a female child to draw a DROP of blood to signify their covenant. So we are willing to ban one religious "rite" but not another?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting cemcnair:

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Again YOUR choice.

Quoting cemcnair:

walmartgirl
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:19 PM

There is definite health benefits to circumcision.  All through history they have circumcised boys and then would stop.  When circumcision was stopped infections in women went up.  Imagine that.  Trusting men to wash real well every day is just not a realistic  expectation.  I have a friend who never had a bladder infection until she married a man who was uncircumcised.  After she married she had one infection after another.  At  40 years of age she asked her husband to get circumcised.  He did and after that she had no more infections.  This was 12 years ago.  Her husband said he wished his parents had it done for him when he was a baby.  When they had a son it wasn't even an issue.  The baby was circumcised right away. 

There have been many studies done on this subject.  The problem with these studies is that people have to be followed for many years to know the outcome.  The studies also have to have the same varients (which most do not).  Another question to ask is who is sponsoring these studies.  Many studies are done but have a slanted view before they even start (this goes for every type of study). 

I have a nephew that was not circumcised.  He is 15 years old now and was laughed at when they change for gym (as he is the only one not circumcised).  He just went through the procedure and was in a great deal of pain.  The dr who performed the circumcision said it would not have been as bad if it would have been done when he was a  baby.  The dr said it is less painful when boys are younger as there is not as much to cut off and the nerves are not as developed. 

I can't tell you what to do as this is an individual choice but I circumcised my sons.  Hope some of this helps in your decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)