Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Help! I am about to embark on making my own cleaning stuffs (I already use vinegar or baking soda straight up to clean), but would like to make them smell nice and have them in containers easier to use. Where do I go to buy essential oils? How much do I need to make various cleaners? Any good "recipes" for me? I hear Lavendar is popular, but I prefer warmer smells, like Gardenias and Vanilla and Honeysuckle. How likely am I to find essential oils that have those scents? Do they MAKE those? And for a reasonable price?! (I am so embarrassed and feel like such a newb, that I have held off asking this for a few weeks, now!)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Replies (11-18):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Just curious, where do you buy from? And how much is it compared to another oil (Cedarwood maybe)? Is this the same place you buy your tto? The fact that it's diluted raises quality flags to me, there's no reason to sell it diluted- tto is one of the only two oils totally safe to use neat topically.

Sandalwood is expensive because the tree is super endangered, it has to be cut down to get the oil, and it has to be at least 30 years old to harvest. It's a precious gift from mother nature, cherish it!!!

Quoting schultzal:

I don't buy from any of those places. I don't live in the US.

Quoting jellyphish:

I bet the sandalwood you're buying is diluted, because it's crazy expensive!

When you buy from places like wf, the expensive oils (sandalwood, Chamomile, jasmine, etc) tend to be diluted in jojoba oil to about 5%. You just need to watch for that if you're after pure EOs.

Quoting schultzal:

Whole foods or natural food stores are a good place to buy locally. There are some good websites that might save you some $$$. Vanilla essential oil is very expensive... I paid nearly $50 for mine (a 10 mL bottle). :(

Sandalwood is a nice, warm smell that isn't too expensive. Patchouli & orange is another combination that I really like, but I know not everyone likes patchouli.

I like tea tree oil in my cleaning mixture; gives the cleaner some extra antiseptic properties. Orange oil is another good option for cleaners, especially in the kitchen. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I like mountainroseherbs.com
I use peppermint in my cleaning mixture or, I make a citrus infused vinegar and use it!
Take your citrus peels, put in a glass container, add vinegar, let soak for a week or two shaking daily (I put mine in the sun). Then use half water, half vinegar!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, OP do you have cats? If so, it's best not to use EOs when cleaning, they are toxic to cats and slowly destroy their kidneys, it's best not to use EOs around cats.

Just another caution more people should be aware of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I buy all of my oils from a local business called New Directions, in Marrickville, NSW, Australia.

I buy the TTO diluted because I have a bad reaction to it full strength. I've never bought Cedarwood, so I'm not sure of the price. There is no doubt about the quality of oils from New Directions, and the offer the TTO dilution in many strengths, so it doesn't concern me at all. 

My Sandalwood oil was a bit more pricey than others, but not nearly as expensive as the Vanilla. Vanilla beans are even outrageously priced in this country. I only use the Sandalwood for a perfume mixture that I wear. :)

Quoting jellyphish:

Just curious, where do you buy from? And how much is it compared to another oil (Cedarwood maybe)? Is this the same place you buy your tto? The fact that it's diluted raises quality flags to me, there's no reason to sell it diluted- tto is one of the only two oils totally safe to use neat topically.

Sandalwood is expensive because the tree is super endangered, it has to be cut down to get the oil, and it has to be at least 30 years old to harvest. It's a precious gift from mother nature, cherish it!!!

Quoting schultzal:

I don't buy from any of those places. I don't live in the US.

Quoting jellyphish:

I bet the sandalwood you're buying is diluted, because it's crazy expensive!

When you buy from places like wf, the expensive oils (sandalwood, Chamomile, jasmine, etc) tend to be diluted in jojoba oil to about 5%. You just need to watch for that if you're after pure EOs.

Quoting schultzal:

Whole foods or natural food stores are a good place to buy locally. There are some good websites that might save you some $$$. Vanilla essential oil is very expensive... I paid nearly $50 for mine (a 10 mL bottle). :(

Sandalwood is a nice, warm smell that isn't too expensive. Patchouli & orange is another combination that I really like, but I know not everyone likes patchouli.

I like tea tree oil in my cleaning mixture; gives the cleaner some extra antiseptic properties. Orange oil is another good option for cleaners, especially in the kitchen. :)

corinthians81
by Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my goodness I didn't know this,& I have a cat who is very precious to me...Not trying to take over the post,just wanted to say thank you!:)

Quoting jellyphish:

Oh, OP do you have cats? If so, it's best not to use EOs when cleaning, they are toxic to cats and slowly destroy their kidneys, it's best not to use EOs around cats.

Just another caution more people should be aware of.

LuvMyBoy08
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm a DoTerra Essential Oil consultant......Dont get your oils from health food stores or vitamin stores. They are diluted and often have fillers to make it smell like its supposed to. DoTerra oils are 100% certified pure therapeutic grade oils.

Good oils to use are lemon which is a disinfectant and a blend we carry called On Guard which helps build your immune system from everyday colds.

Let me know if you'd like more information, the lemon oil is a very good price

www.mydoterra.com/AromaDrops
ameraznkimko
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

www.thebeautyofessentialoils.com

Look at this site for more info on essential oils...there is aslo a section on cleaning with essential oils and also tells you where to get them

Bunnee
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

doTERRA oils are THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love them!

SAHM to 5 beautiful kids!

Holland Lop & Mini Lop rabbit breeder

I LOVE BUNNIES!!!   ~..^

www.freewebs.com/bunnee5/index.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN