Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How different was your second birth from your first birth?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM
  • 28 Replies

I was just interested in everybody's individual experiences and curious about it. My example is when I gave birth to my first kid, I didnt do any research  at all and just went totally under the assumption that the Dr. knew everything and it was best to do everything he said. My water started leaking at 39 weeks and I let them induce labor right away just a few hours later. I barely got to hold the baby right after she was born because I was bleeding so badly. She had the Vitamin K shot and a severe case of Jaundice a few days later (she was hospitalized for three days)

So, with my second I totatlly did the research! And I had a totally natural birth with no interventions. I had a total dream birth the second time after doing my research and making my preferences know.

Has anybody else had a similar experience or did you all get it right the first time? Thanks!

by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

My second was nothing I wanted. We were not able to find a  home birthing midwife and ended up in the hospital. Well between my pregnancy and labor. Things were not going right and I did have an epidural which lead to pitocin.

My first was at a birth center and such a wonderful expiecne. So before we started to TTC we found a home birthing midwife and had an amazing expience.

BlessedToBeMe
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I was very young with my first 2 so they were in no way natural births. My second was better only b/c it was shorter & I didn't have to fight with a doctor I hated. But they were both induced a little after 42 weeks, typical in bed, pushing laying down deliveries, although I didn't get any medication

My third & forth were both completely natural, still at the hospital but 100% what I wanted

louzannalady
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I did my research. Wanted a homebirth, but there were no midwives or birthing centers within two hours, so that wasn't going to happen. UC-ing wasn't an option, because I was staying with my grandma to help her, so not my house, not my choice. 

I ended up with a hospital birth from heck, begging to have minimal interventions with no support. Even with a birthing plan, it was ignored. A fifty-six hour labor, the first forty-five hours unmedicated. 

My second, I had moved. I had a doula and (due to finances) at a baby friendly designated hospital, water birth with midwives. Only 19 hours. Difference was night and day. : ) 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM

My second was much less traumatic but still not the birth I wanted. Next time I hope to have the birth I want!

Brandy85412
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Second was a lot different then first worse in some ways. The third was the turning point for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM
My first was full of broken promises from my ob. Despite their promises to respect me, I was forced on my back to push, her cord was cut immediately, she was taken away from me insead of placed on my chest immediately. The labor was a lot longer, and I was given pit and stadol.

My second was a beautiful water labor, and all my aforementioned requests were granted w/o discussion. The labor was only 3 1/2 hours and the whole experience was very empowering.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I am glad things went so well the second time! 

Quoting jellyphish: My first was full of broken promises from my ob. Despite their promises to respect me, I was forced on my back to push, her cord was cut immediately, she was taken away from me insead of placed on my chest immediately. The labor was a lot longer, and I was given pit and stadol. My second was a beautiful water labor, and all my aforementioned requests were granted w/o discussion. The labor was only 3 1/2 hours and the whole experience was very empowering.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

rfurlongg
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM
My 1st was an intended hb that ended up in a transport and ultimately a section. My 2nd was at a free standing birth center and 3rd was intended to be at the same birth center but things progressed too quickly so it up being an unplanned hb.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! Me too! It was a really important experience for me. ü

Quoting catholicmamamia:

I am glad things went so well the second time! 

Quoting jellyphish: My first was full of broken promises from my ob. Despite their promises to respect me, I was forced on my back to push, her cord was cut immediately, she was taken away from me insead of placed on my chest immediately. The labor was a lot longer, and I was given pit and stadol. My second was a beautiful water labor, and all my aforementioned requests were granted w/o discussion. The labor was only 3 1/2 hours and the whole experience was very empowering.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ruby_jewel_04
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I've had to get induced with all my kids, unfortunatly. I didnt want to be. But life throws you curve balls. Other than how LONG my first labor was, 2, and 3, weren't much different. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN