Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Options for part time bed sharing

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM
  • 2 Replies

Our six month old sleeps in our bed all the time right now. We have a crib next to our bed, but it really is only used for diaper changes. My son is already rolling, sitting up, scooting backward and today he half pulled up on the crib's rail. We have a rail on my side of the bed, but it's not high enough for me to feel like he's secure when I'm not in bed with him. 

My problem is that I need him to at least go to bed before I do some nights, and maybe even take some naps by himself, too. The ideal situation would be for him to be in his crib until I go to bed. Then I'd bring him to bed with me. So far I haven't had much luck laying him down after nursing him to sleep, though. 

I thought about side-carring the crib, but I still worry about him wiggling his way out and falling. I also think i'd need to lower the crib matress since he's starting to pull up, but I'd have to put my bed on the floor to have it line up. I thought about just putting our bed on the floor, but right now we have a huge flea problem and nothing is working well enough at keeping them away for me to think putting our bed on the floor is a good idea. 

Is there something I'm forgetting to try? Or tips on how to lay him down asleep?

Thanks! 

by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SAHM927
by Lesly on Aug. 25, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Side carring works really well for us, and as long as she has an open bed to crawl on, she doesn't climb the rails. This has been the perfect arrangement also for us to get a few more feet of bed space. On the other side of the bed I placed pillows and a comforter in case she would try climbing down but now she is almost 18 months and comes off the bed on her own. I hope that helps!
ashuiren
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM

That may be what we do. I really like having him next to me at night, but the extra space would be welcome, too. Hopefully he would just move to the bed and make some noise before trying to scale the crib rails. He tends to wake up happy ready to explore, so I can't always count on him telling me he's awake right away. 

It's funny. My oldest was fussier but more cautious, so I spent more energy comforting him but didn't have to worry as much about him getting himself into trouble. He's still that way at 6 years. This little guy is almost always happy unless there's a clear problem. Even then he usually complains more than cries. Once I take care of the problem he's all smiles. He's way more adventurous, though, so I have to be extra careful about where he is and what is in his reach and expect him to do things I wouldn't expect him to be ready to do. Which probably means I'm in trouble, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN