Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

DUH most women are uneducated about birth new study says!

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM
  • 18 Replies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM

yep, duh!

Duquesne
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM
3 moms liked this
Same can be said about some obs.

It's sad. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Another thing to think about too, is that in a hospital setting children are usually not allowed to be present. A hospital birth typically doesn't show a normal birth anyways, but having children witness a natural birth can help teach them about it, for their future as either a mother or a father. It makes it less scary and more normal. I regret not having my children there at the births of their siblings, so if I have another child I will definitely be doing this!

taurusmom88
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM

this doesn't suprise me in the least! sadly, when i was a ftm i was one of these women. I was 19 when i had my son, and even though I read the book what to expect when you're expecting, i still wasn't aware of my options for birth. i thought  epidural was fine and completely normal. i never heard of a midwife. my OB didn't ask me about a birth plan or even tell me i had options. i honestly felt i didn't have a choice in anything. it makes me sad looking back on it, although i am glad the epidural didn't seem to work in my vagina area, because i felt the WHOLE birth, lol. but i felt so accomplished afterwards. im not taking any classes as of now, but me and my husband might look into some so we can be more prepared for a natural drug free birth. i now know that i have options which is great, and i hope  everything goes smoothly.

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM
3 moms liked this
Understatement of the century
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM
2 moms liked this

my older sister and i got into a popcorn fight at my younger sisters birth.  we were chucking it across the room at each other and i can still remember my mom screaming at us to stop LOL!!! i was only 2 or 3 and i still vividly remember it :)

i guess getting popcorn thrown at you during transition is not as fun as it sounds.....

Quoting Precious333:

Another thing to think about too, is that in a hospital setting children are usually not allowed to be present. A hospital birth typically doesn't show a normal birth anyways, but having children witness a natural birth can help teach them about it, for their future as either a mother or a father. It makes it less scary and more normal. I regret not having my children there at the births of their siblings, so if I have another child I will definitely be doing this!

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Yeah, it is pretty sad when my 13, 15, and 17 yo daughters know more about pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding than most women who have actually had a baby.

anime.princess
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I'm doing as much research as possible before giving birth.  

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I was just talking to my husband about this. I recently read an article in which several Australian midwives were quoted pretty muc saying that a very large percentage of women come into the hospital totally uneducated about childbirth, and most of them know nothing about pregnancy, as well. 

I think it's so sad that you would go through something so monumental and not take the time to educate yourself. People spend more time researching a major purchase than they do researching childbirth and parenting. :(

A child is a much, much more important investment (of time and love) than any purchase I will ever make.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:19 PM

LOL! that is too funny!

Quoting tansyflower:

my older sister and i got into a popcorn fight at my younger sisters birth.  we were chucking it across the room at each other and i can still remember my mom screaming at us to stop LOL!!! i was only 2 or 3 and i still vividly remember it :)

i guess getting popcorn thrown at you during transition is not as fun as it sounds.....

Quoting Precious333:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)