Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Do u hover over your toddler at the park??? I don't.

Posted by   + Show Post
We have a park and it has a gate around it with a little playground that's small. Two swings on each side and one slide and a tunnel and big tree.

Well I sit at the bench or on a stool and watch my son bc he loves exploring.

Other moms are like one heartbeat away from their kids - mine is one and I see them even hovering over 3 year olds.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Replies (51-59):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:11 AM
Same here! That's so scary!

It just depends on what park it is, who is there, and which kid it is.

My 2.5 year old is clumsy and doesn't always understand danger so we do follow behind him. I try to let him explore on his own as much as possible though.

When my oldest was younger I would sit and just keep an eye on her while she was running around. After she was able to navigate the equipment easily I backed off.

Also sometimes it's fun to play with them =)

Quoting orangeshirt:

The playscapes we go to all seem to have openings that are three to five feet off the ground and my toddler is a fearless daredevil. So, yes...I watch her closely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:15 AM
I really get annoyed by people who don't care if their kid is being obnoxious!! They are the ones who need to hover lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:15 AM
OMG this made me LOL!!

Quoting jellyphish:

I didn't really think anyone was complaining about it. The moms who hover don't bother me.

The moms who don't pay attention and/or don't do jack when their kid tries to bully mine piss me off.

The moms who stand right smack in front of me annoy me, I didn't come to the park to smell your ass, lady!!

Quoting peaches_04:

Hmm this is the first post ive seen about someone complaining about hoovering

Usually its ppl complaining of ppl not watching their lo at the park close enough and so and so hit so and so or something like that

Quoting VintageWife:

I hate this question, people act like staying close means you're a bad mom.

Quoting peaches_04:

What of it?

Are we trying to pick fights tonight?:)

Quoting VintageWife:

I hover, what of it?!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:20 AM
We went to this really neat park for the first time. This woman was following her little nephew around and she introduced herself to my husband and I after we talked to her first. She said she was there with her daughter, nephew, and sons. She seemed nice enough. All of the sudden she starts cursing at her daughter so loud throwing the F word around. I'm like whoa?!?! Then her nephew was only a little over a year and she was letting him wander around. Her sons then decided to push him as high as he could go in the swing. They then proceeded to stand on top of the swing the baby was in and swing back and forth so high. And the mom never said a word. I was shocked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM
No, I don't hover and my son is not even one yet! I take him to safe places and I *watch* him, but I let him explore! I even took him to a splash pad park and let him crawl around!

What WAS weird was some random lady trying to hover over my and my friends' toddlers. We were watching them, but they were having fun without us. Some lady took it upon herself to hover over MY kid. That pissed me off! Who did she think she was??? Creeper-McGee...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3rd2bedue
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Kinda my thing too........ lol Im right there beside em because im playing and engaged with them the whole time. The only time I sit on my rump at the park watching is if my DH is with us and he is the one playing with the boys instead of me! ^_^ 

Besides this fact I would generally hover because if they fall ild want to be there to catch them. No sense in a broken neck when it could be prevented!

I also agree with other replies in saying that I dont trust the other children to respect the personal space of my sons. They are mean and or just cant understand my (young) sons dont yet have balance when knocked about! 

I dont think anything of parents who follow their kids around the park. The only thing that ever comes to my mind is when parents just sit there and (dont even) LOOK at their kids, totally relaxed and uncaring! THAT bothers me, NOT hovering! ^_^ heehee! I try not to judge others in general, Heck my son is almost 3 and he falls all about at the park ( he is a little delayed) Ild hate for others to think of me in a wrong light because I care for his safety!!! 

Quoting Jenn8604:

Nope, but I actually play with my kid.

Hyman
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM
:O geez. That sounds really awful.

Quoting jconney80:

We went to this really neat park for the first time. This woman was following her little nephew around and she introduced herself to my husband and I after we talked to her first. She said she was there with her daughter, nephew, and sons. She seemed nice enough. All of the sudden she starts cursing at her daughter so loud throwing the F word around. I'm like whoa?!?! Then her nephew was only a little over a year and she was letting him wander around. Her sons then decided to push him as high as he could go in the swing. They then proceeded to stand on top of the swing the baby was in and swing back and forth so high. And the mom never said a word. I was shocked.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LunaB
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM
I hover over my three year old. I didn't used to. I used to be very relaxed about her climbing and playing. However she suddenly became very clumsy with this last growth spurt. When she learns how to use her new body, I'll back off again. :)
Brandy85412
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Nope I mostly sit and watch. My 2 year old follows her 4 year old sister around. I also have a 7 month old to watch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)