Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Socialize your child!

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM
  • 23 Replies

ummm... ok. No thank you.

My mother keeps telling me HS isn't healthy. Children need to be socialized.

I just stayed quiet.

Just HS her for a few months then put her in school.

I didn't have a whole lot to say to her. I didn't want to start anything.

Your cousin HS her kids and they didn't know anything. They were so anti social. I didn't say anything about that. I don't know her children. They livein WI.

UGH what to say? Keep quiet?

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orangeshirt
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Homeschooling, especially in larger cities, is nothing like people think. There are co-ops, sports teams, dances, extracurricular activities, and more than enough opportunity for support and proper socialization.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM
2 moms liked this

It's hard to stay quiet, but arguing with her won't change her misconceptions.  After a family reunion a few months ago, my mother finally came around.  she told me, "your kids are  so normal.  it's like they're not even homeschooled."  um, okay.  gee, thanks mom.

Ichthus
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM
3 moms liked this

I homeschool and my kids are very active and "socialized." I've read a few places asking why our society thinks that children spending 2/3 of their day with children the same age as them is considered proper socialization? Isn't a child who spends the majority of their day around various ages of adults and children going to be a more well rounded person than a child who learns about the world from children who know as little or as much as they themselves know?

Honeybunches26
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

socially school was one of the worse places... everything I learned about socialization in school was how to fit in, not how to accept myself or love myself but how to be what was expected of me... I went from an abusive home to a tormented school.. and I wasnt bullied.. I wasnt beat up.. I was actually quite popular... because I learned how to dress, act, and entertain others but I never really felt okay in my own skin.. I never felt like I was enough it was always some dog and pony show having to do hair a certain way, dress a certain way.. what I learned about beauty and what makes you important was all twisted.. I think HS if you can is the BEST thing you can do.. seriously teach your child how to love themselves and see through some of these fake ass interactions we are trainned to partake in.. I wish Id had someone whom loved me enough to stay home with me and give me the time of day.. I wouldnt have been such an emotionally lost teen...

I was on honor roll, advanced classes, drama club, and even worked and did volunteer things so yeah your mom would say I was social.. I knew all the right things to say, and do... I was also seceretly suicdal, self loathing, and felt broken because I never learned how to accept myself and how to interact in a way that was natural to me, I was always trained to ignore my feelings and do what was expected.. .everyone thinks I was perfect but inside I was really hurt and twisted by all the fake stuff I learned from socilzation.. 

my point is youre doing amazing and maybe tell your mom things arent always how they seem.. 

catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Unfortunately, it seems your mother falls into that group of people who are under the misconception that only public-schooled or private-schooled children are well-socialized and homeschooled children are not. 

Here is what I would do.... if I thought I was making progress with breaking the "unsocialized homeschooled children" myth I would continue educating, and if I was only banging my head against a brick wall I would save myself further injury and enact the rule "if you cannot say something nice, say nothing at all."  

skarlet
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting almondpigeon:

It's hard to stay quiet, but arguing with her won't change her misconceptions.  After a family reunion a few months ago, my mother finally came around.  she told me, "your kids are  so normal.  it's like they're not even homeschooled."  um, okay.  gee, thanks mom.

This almost made me spit out my water. I always think its amazing when people are so shocked that I home school and actually say how "normal" we are. I'm never sure if I should say thank you or not...lol

CafeMom Tickers

SAHM927
by Lesly on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM
I have considered homeschooling my DD and our future children as well. My family thinks I am a bit looney, but if I know it is what is best for my child, then I frankly don't care what her opinion is.
EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM

thank goodness my mom homeschooled me. i love how natural she was without even knowing it. i went to regualr schools too and all i got was beat down, hated, and very sick. yah. i think home was better. i plan to pull ds out as soon as i can afford to be a stay at home mom again. he will have to go to public school while i work and dh goes to school. but after that, he's home with momma!!!

crafthag
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Social skills are not learned from other kids the same age with no social skills. Our kids are more social than most kids we know. We joke and call them our "weird homeschooled kids" ;)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

sreichelt26
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Right? Especially when the majority of time spent in school is sitting quietly at a desk. Doesn't anyone remember hearing, "you're here to learn, not socialize!"

HS doesn't mean you keep your kids home all day.

Quoting Ichthus:

I homeschool and my kids are very active and "socialized." I've read a few places asking why our society thinks that children spending 2/3 of their day with children the same age as them is considered proper socialization? Isn't a child who spends the majority of their day around various ages of adults and children going to be a more well rounded person than a child who learns about the world from children who know as little or as much as they themselves know?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN