Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

toddler toothpaste

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM
  • 29 Replies

What kind of toothpaste does your toddler use?

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Baking soda. And when she's old enough that it's not too strong, I add a tiny bit of peppermint oil.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I still do just water for dd, but I think Tom's makes a toothpaste for kids? That's what I was thinking of using.

Mrs.Salz
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Do you make a paste with it or just dampen the toothbrush and dip it in the baking soda?

Quoting jellyphish:

Baking soda. And when she's old enough that it's not too strong, I add a tiny bit of peppermint oil.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:31 PM
All the Tom's we have here has fluoride. :(

We stick to baking soda mixed with coconut oil and and hydrogen peroxide. Occasionally we add xylitol and peppermint oil.

Quoting sreichelt26:

I still do just water for dd, but I think Tom's makes a toothpaste for kids? That's what I was thinking of using.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Sometimes I'll add some vegetable glycerine to make it pasty like, but usually just use straight bs on a dampened brush. That's what I use for me too. :)

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Do you make a paste with it or just dampen the toothbrush and dip it in the baking soda?

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM

poop. well, scratch that idea.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

We stick to baking soda mixed with coconut oil and and hydrogen peroxide. Occasionally we add xylitol and peppermint oil.

Quoting sreichelt26:

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

DS (16 months) doesn't use any-we just brush with a soft bristle brush.  My (not crunchy) dental hygenist said toothpaste for anyone isn't necessary. 

MamaJAG
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

All my kids use Toms Silly Strawberry fluoride free.  Kudos to those who can do the baking soda.  I can barely even bake with baking soda I think it tastes SO bad.  Makes me shiver just to think about it.  Ugh.

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/toothpaste/product-detail/childrens-fluoride-free-toothpaste

sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM

OP, I just saw that EWG has a category for kid toothpaste

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:08 PM
They do have fluoride free options. Just not at my stores. :(

Quoting sreichelt26:

poop. well, scratch that idea.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Quoting sreichelt26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)