Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Any Momma's whose toddler has aspergers??

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM
  • 7 Replies

So, since my oldest DD was young, we thought something wasn't quite "right" with her. She started showing lots of signs of Aspergers very early, but I ignored it thinking it's something she would grow out of, or was told I was overreacting. She is going to be 3 next month and as she gets older, she's easier to handle kind of, but the signs were getting more clear.

Then, I took care of  a boy with Asperger's and their behavior was almost IDENTICAL! So, I decided to suck it up and finally take her to her Pediatrician. Her pediatrician also agrees and thinks that it's Aspergers and says its very hard to get a diagnosis with such a high functioning child, and it's even more difficult in girls as it is with boys. But, we've now got a referral to Children's in Seattle for an evaulation for her.

I was wondering what to expect, and natural things we can do for her, as I don't believe in medicating children unless 100% necessary.

TIA!

by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Klbushman
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn355
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM
My son is high functioning asd. I have heard so many different ways they test that im not sure how your test will be. They did a 4 hour test with ds when he was 22 months. They test language, social, intelligence and the ados test.

Why do you think asperbers specifically?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megthompson920
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Developementally shes really far ahead and she has much more signs of aspergers then typical autism. She has repetative behaviors, tantrums well really meltdowns over really strange things. She has obsessions like flags, pennies, trains, busses. She has really bad problems sleeping still. At 3 she still doesn't sleep through the night. She does okay socially but it takes her a REALLY long time to get used to other children enough to play with them. She really prefers to play alone most times. She has an extremely hard time with any kind of transition and we usually have to give her a count down to any transition that's going to be happening such as stopping an activity or going to bed. She speaks very formal especially for her age.. an example is when her sister wakes up she'll say "Madison has awoke" She also has sensory issues such as hating how socks feel on her feet so she won't eat them, and avoiding a lot of foods because of the texture and she gets very overstimulated by loud noises, or too much going on around her.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 32 months old and was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder about 1.5 months ago. He is very high functioning so as he grows older it will look like Aspergers basically. It was very hard to get him a diagnosis. We realized he was autistic right after his 2nd birthday. He did/ still does have more obvious signs than girls or at least than my girls. It was still very hard to tell and most don't notice it. My oldest doesn't have a diagnosis yet but we are waiting to get one. I know she is though.

Your pedi is very correct. It's difficult to get girls diagnosed. Drs just don't believe as many girls have it as boys. But they do! It just doesn't look the same. Girls are naturally more social creatures so they hide it more and try to blend in more.

My youngest daughter is 11 months old and also showing signs. It will really take a lot of research on your part to learn what the true signs are so you know what to report to the Dr. My son was DX (diagnosed) at a childrens hospital also. The Dr who DX him had never met him and she kept saying how it was really hard to tell. Without the evals they wouldn't know.

My son had 4 different appointments but every place does it differently. We met with the Dr first to explain what we see. The next appointment was a speech eval and the ADOS, which is the autism diagnostic test/ tool. The next apt was the psych eval and developmental testing to see where he was at. The last apt was his DX one. Some places do it all in one day, which I don't like.

I'm warning you now be prepared and be prepared to fight. Don't assume they will just see it. Make sure they see it. I brought videos of all of the behaviors we saw at home. He really didn't do many of them during the evals at all so they were not very convinced until we demanded an extra apt and showed them the videos. They typically won't DX toddlers that young with Aspergers. Not until 4-5 usually. So they may just give the DX of autism spectrum disorder instead. I took tons of videos. I've already fought with a Dr about my oldest. She's 9 & he totally thought she was fine and refused to listen to me. I know she is without a doubt.

Read everything you can by Tony Attwood about Aspergers and women/ girls with Aspergers. There is another great book called "Pretending to be Normal." You can Google Tony Attwood and Aspergers in women and girls.

I also suggest the books by Jenny McCarthy. "Healing and Preventing Autism" is a good book that's written with a Dan Dr about natural things you can do. My kids are on the Autism and ADHD Diet. That is a good book. There are quite a few diets. Different ones work for different kids. Dr Sears The Autism Book is great also. You can't cure it or really prevent it but you can help some symptoms and behaviors.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to message me. I don't mind at all =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 11:02 PM

BUMP..  :o) 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:01 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)