Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
At what point do you say that? I'm only 20 wks but the hospitals standard is 42 weeks. I know that's pretty normal but I still don't think I would want to then if it came to it. A friend waited until 17 days after her due date and the doctors kept telling her that her baby was going to die in the womb : (

So... I know inductions are not recommended but at what point do you say okay? Never isn't really an option... I don't think?
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM
Replies (61-67):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I did know a women who's body wouldn't physically go into labor.  Her son almost died from her being so over due and the placenta was deteriorating.  But even she and her doctor said that was very rare.

Mrs.Salz
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I just read through some of the replies.

NSTs and BPPs can be great tools or they can be abused (like anything else). You'll have to see how things go once you reach your due date, but agreeing to NSTs too soon can cause doctors to find a "reason" that you "need" to be induced. Doctors like inductions because they're scheduled and controlled - and based on what you're saying about your hospital it's likely they perform lots of inductions that aren't really needed. Often doctors like to perform inductions or other unneeded procedures simply to reduce their own liability, not because it's in the best interest of mom or baby.

One thing to watch for is whether they say you need an induction right NOW vs. saying something is concerning and scheduling one for three or four days out. At that point, it's probably not urgent or even legitimate and you could come back in a few days, reevaluate the situation, have some time to research, and decide from there.

Raeann11
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM

For me I would fight them tooth and nails on it. It would have to  pretty serious for them to. I know that it is just an estimate and they can be so wrong.

Brandy85412
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

if they could prove that me or baby was in distress.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I would start to get worried at 42 weeks but I don't think I would induce unless there was distress.

catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Mine did, too. 

Quoting Sarah725: My babies always came on there own at 38 or 39 weeks.... 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM
If there was valid fact proved enough that it's in the best interest of me or my childs life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)