Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Share your favorite fall recipes!

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM
  • 15 Replies

Post your favorite fall recipes here!

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Oooh im all over this later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Apple Pie Breakfast

Steel cut oats are one of my favourite breakfast foods.  Once cooked, this recipe keeps very well in the fridge for a couple of days.  My husband and I usually eat for three mornings in a row when I make this recipe.

Ingredients
- 1 cup of steel cut oats*
- 3 diced apples (I use Gala)
- 1 cup apple juice (I use Oasis)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Directions - Slow Cooker

For Best Results:  Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low until it reaches the consistency that you like.  Be sure to stir every hour or so.

* You can also cook longer without stirring, but you have to add more water liquid and it does come out a bit mushier.  Add an extra cup of liquid for 7-8 hours in the slow cooker.

* It must be steel cut oats when cooked in the slow cooker, as regular oats get very soggy when cooked this way.   You can find steel cut oats in your local grocery store (sometimes they are called "irish oats" or "pinhead oats").  If you would really rather use rolled oats, be sure to use the stovetop method below and adjust your liquid/cooking time accordingly.

peaches_04
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Crock Pot Applesauce
adapted from skinnytaste.com

Skinnytaste.com

Servings: 12 • Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 1 pts
Calories: 65.9 • Fat: 0.2 g • Protein: 0.2 g • Carb: 17.5 g • Fiber: 2.8 g • Sugar: 12
Sodium: 0.6 mg

Ingredients:

8 medium apples (Use a combination of Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Fuji, Gala, etc.) (I filled the crockpot, using about 20 small apples)
    1 strips of lemon peel - use a vegetable peeler

1 tsp fresh lemon juice

3 inch cinnamon stick

5 tsp light brown sugar (unpacked) - or agave

1.  Peel, core and chop the apples.

2.  Add the sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice and cinnamon stick.

3.  Set crock pot to low and cook for 6 hours. Stir apples occasionally, apples will slowly become a delicious applesauce. Remove cinnamon stick and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth or if you prefer a chunky sauce, leave sauce intact. (I used a whisk, which gave the sauce a nice chunky consistency.)

4.  Can and process as you would other recipes or keep refrigerated up to 3 weeks.

peaches_04
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM

DSC_0489

Roasted Vegetable Galette
Serves 4-6

Crust:
250g wholemeal flour
¼ tsp salt
115 g chilled unsalted butter, diced
¼ cup crème fraiche
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ cup cold water
1 spring of fresh thyme, leaves chopped

Vegetable filling:
5 small carrots (or 3 medium), peeled and diced
2 parsnips, peeled and diced
350g butternut squash, peeled and diced
2 medium red onion, peeled and quartered
1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves chopped
1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
1 head of garlic, outer layers peeled
salt and freshly ground pepper
creamy goat cheese, crumbled

To make the crust, combine the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Add the butter and using your hands rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, whisk together the crème fraiche, lemon juice and cold water. Add the mixture to the flour mixture and blend everything together with a fork. Stir in chopped thyme. Do not knead the dough. Gather the clumps into a ball. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and flatten a bit. Refrigerate for at least an hour.

Put all the vegetable into a roasting tray. Sprinkle with herbs and drizzle over 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss everything together until all the vegetables are evenly coated. Cut off the top of the garlic head, exposing the cloves. Drizzle some olive oil on top and wrap in foil. Place the garlic on the roasting tray with the vegetables. Roast the vegetables about 20-30 minutes stirring once or twice until tender. Squeeze the garlic into a large bowl and mash with a fork. Add the roasted vegetables, half of the cheese and toss gently.

Unwrap the dough and press the edges so that there are no cracks. Dust a sheet of parchment paper with flour and roll out the dough into a 30cm circle about 0.5cm thick. Transfer the dough on the parchment paper to a baking sheet. Arrange the vegetables on the dough, leaving a 5cm border. Scatter over the remaining goat cheese and fold the edges over the filling. Bake on the lower half of the oven for about 35-40 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve.
peaches_04
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

i <3 pinterest

catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

PUMPKIN BREAD

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 c sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 c pumpkin puree*
1/2 c olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.
Mix pumpkin, oil, eggs,  water, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Combine with dry ingredients. Pour into well-buttered 9x5x3 pan. Bake fifty - sixty minutes. Turn out of pan, then cool on a rack.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 2:34 AM

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

INGREDIENTS

1 butternut squash, peeled/seeded
2 tb butter
1 onion, chopped
6 c stock
n
utmeg
salt
black pepper

DIRECTIONS

Cut squash into chunks. In large pot melt butter, then saute onion until soft. Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about fifteen minutes. Remove squash chunks, place in a blender, and puree. Return blended squash to pot. Stir, then season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

tick2012
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM

i make baby wipes in just 20mins!!! its cheap easy, and better for ur baby...

1 roll bounty paper towels

1 3/4 cup water

1 Tbsp. baby oil

1 Tbsp. baby wash

1 container w/ lid 2 hold

Mix together water, baby oil, and baby wash. Tear apart paper towels put into container, pour mixture over cover, and let sit for 15mins.

Thats it all done and ready to use:-) i have to boys and i'd rather make them then buy them they work soooo much better!!!

peaches_04
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Oooooh so making this one

Quoting catholicmamamia:

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

INGREDIENTS

1 butternut squash, peeled/seeded
2 tb butter
1 onion, chopped
6 c stock
n
utmeg
salt
black pepper

DIRECTIONS

Cut squash into chunks. In large pot melt butter, then saute onion until soft. Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about fifteen minutes. Remove squash chunks, place in a blender, and puree. Return blended squash to pot. Stir, then season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

"Healthy" Caramel Sauce

I just made this today - so great to have a sugar-free and HCFS-free alternative to regular caramel sauce!

http://comfybelly.com/2010/07/caramel-sauce/#.UGCI2K5CzbN

Caramel sauce

Ingredients

• 1 cup of heavy cream or milk (coconut, almond, or cow milk are good choices)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt (or a bit less if you prefer)
  • 1 cup of honey (or other sweetener)

Preparation

1. Pour the cream or milk into a small saucepan and place on a low to medium heat.
  2. Add the salt to the saucepan and stir to dissolve.
  3. Bring to a steady simmer, and then add the honey. Stir to dissolve.
  4. Bring the mixture to a steady, low boil, and stir frequently. It takes about 15 minutes to get to the desired consistency. If you have a candy thermometer, it should read between 225 and 250 degrees F when it’s ready. I usually watch until it starts getting darker and thicker. Keep stirring while it’s boiling.
  5. The longer you boil it, the less pourable it will be at room temperature. So if you want it to be liquid caramel, don’t boil it as long. If you want firm caramel at room temperature, boil it until it is almost burning, and the color is clearly darker than when you started.
  6. When ready, turn the heat off and place the bottom of the saucepan in an ice water bath to stop it from boiling. Avoid getting any water in the saucepan. You don’t have to keep it in the bath that long, just long enough that you can still work with it to coat things or pour it into something.
  7. Once it is cooled, you can serve it, and store in the refrigerator in a sealed container/glass jar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN