Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

toddler refusing food

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM
  • 11 Replies
Since noahs been born lily seems to eat less and boob more
To the point where she wont eat anything anymore and mostly just boobs
is this a normal phase after bringing baby home?
How do i get her to eat???
Can she survive healthily on just boob at this age?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jiffypop2207
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Yes being clingy is normal after u bring home another baby and no a 2yr old neds other nutrition besides breastmilk. What to do about it? Idk. Try posting this in a more active group to get more feedback
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds pretty normal. You can allowing nursing conditionally, for example: 'you can nurse after you eat-----" But really, this too shall pass. The new baby and sharing mommy is a HUGE adjustment. When this happened with me I gave my son "special big boy time." I think it helped us both, we felt more connected and he began to realize he could be cuddled and loved without nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM
If i posted in a group more active then this one(this one is pretty active anyway) every one would simply say why are u still bf a toddler?!?!?

Boobs are for men ya know not babies

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Yes being clingy is normal after u bring home another baby and no a 2yr old neds other nutrition besides breastmilk. What to do about it? Idk. Try posting this in a more active group to get more feedback
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM

post in the breastfeeding moms group, alot of them are still nursing toddlers and tandom nursing. 

Quoting peaches_04:

If i posted in a group more active then this one(this one is pretty active anyway) every one would simply say why are u still bf a toddler?!?!?

Boobs are for men ya know not babies

Quoting jiffypop2207:

hapababies
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I have a 2 year old and a 14 month old, so I kinda know what you are going through. My 2 year old weaned himself when I was 17 weeks pregnant, he was 13 months old, so we are different there.
But, I have asked myself why he goes on these "food strikes" so often. I try really hard not to make a big deal out of him not eating, but inside I'm worried. I have noticed that giving my 2 year old time with just me, away from the house can help "reset" him. When my youngest was a newborn, that pretty much meant going outside to play with toys with mama since I was ebf'ing my newborn.
I wish I had better advice, but I'm muddling through this myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM

My irl friend who is tandeming is going through the same thing. It will pass!

I would just keep food available for her, pushing it will probably not help.

junebaby11
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Nurse still just keep offering mines at picky stage all i can say is just keep offering dont make seperate meals, just keep offering they wont starve themselves, introduce smoothies, i make green smoothies for my dd with spinach, banana, strawberries, ground flaxseed, grapes, orange juice, coconut milk and anything else i like. This way i know shes gettkng what she needs =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sjk_maybe_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I think I would have snacks available for her to "graze" on throughout the day.  Dr. Sears recommends having a "grazing tray" out for toddlers that when they need/want something to eat, they can just go to it, grab a snack and go.  Fruits, crackers, cheeses...that way you'll at least get something in her, and she'll feel like she has a little "control" back, perhaps.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I think it's normal! Markus was younger. He was 20 months and still nursing a lot anyways.

I would do what someone else suggested and offer food before you will be nursing. Say you can nurse in a few minutes after you eat this....
It might work. If not just leave snacks available all day. It will pass soon. I still nurse Markus when he wants because he's so picky all the time. It drives me crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM

yes that's normal.  If she's not satisfied on breast milk she will eat food, just keep offering it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)