Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Steel cut oats recipe anyone? and question.

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM
  • 9 Replies

Okay I bought steel cut oats because there suppose to be better than the quick oats but does anyone have a recipe that you have tried and it turned out okay for the crockpot or stove whatever Ive read so many recipes and dont want to try one unless i know it will turn out. and the question is.. Is it safe to give steel cut oats to my eight month old? i figured it would be okay just wanted to check and make sure.

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
rachel_2010
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I gave my baby them when he was that young. So it must be safe for all babies! lol  I think that was the first cereal, oh after rice, that we gave him. No family food allergeries, one food every four days, all that jazz.

I just cook them stove top with the water to oats ration on the container...I think it is something like 1 cup to 1/4 cup oats.  I usually soak them over night, then toss them in the pot and they cook much quicker, they can take 20 min, but if you soak them it's more of a 'boil-simmer for a bit until tender- eat!'

When I make them for myself, I pour them pipping hot over frozen raspberries, and add a bit of milk.  For baby I add a bit of maple syrup and cinnamon and let them cool.  Just think about the instant package flavours and that would work for them, like add apples and cinnamon, or berries and cream, etc.

momof2Iliyjosh
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

okay thank you so much!!

peaches_04
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

this is a personal favorite

Apple Pie Breakfast

Steel cut oats are one of my favourite breakfast foods.  Once cooked, this recipe keeps very well in the fridge for a couple of days.  My husband and I usually eat for three mornings in a row when I make this recipe.

Ingredients
- 1 cup of steel cut oats*
- 3 diced apples (I use Gala)
- 1 cup apple juice (I use Oasis)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Directions - Slow Cooker

For Best Results:  Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low until it reaches the consistency that you like.  Be sure to stir every hour or so.

* You can also cook longer without stirring, but you have to add more water liquid and it does come out a bit mushier.  Add an extra cup of liquid for 7-8 hours in the slow cooker.

* It must be steel cut oats when cooked in the slow cooker, as regular oats get very soggy when cooked this way.   You can find steel cut oats in your local grocery store (sometimes they are called "irish oats" or "pinhead oats").  If you would really rather use rolled oats, be sure to use the stovetop method below and adjust your liquid/cooking time accordingly.

momof2Iliyjosh
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:31 PM

that looks awesome will try this one :)

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:18 PM

That looks like a great recipe!

Eliots_momma
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM
I like to undercook mine a little so there is a yummy texture. I add honey and fresh fruit to mine. The recipe above looks really good though :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I will have to give this recipe a try! 

Quoting peaches_04:

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I use the quick cooking ones the regular ones never turn out right for me. 

LondonsMomma84
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM
I like just cooking them slowly with cinnamon, raisins, and a little maple syrup. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)