Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

since he now weighs over 20 pounds i can forward face him!!!! EDIT

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM
  • 47 Replies

lol just kidding :)

he is five months old tomorrow and is almost 21 pounds.  he is already in one year clothing....98% for his height and weight!  so now i have a carseat issue because he seriously almost doesnt fit in his infant carrier.  i only have another month at best before he outgrows it so i need to figure out a safe carseat that doesnt cost a ton.  between new tires for my husbands work truck and property taxes we are strapped for cash and i would like suggestions for something that is not going to cost 400 dollars.

thanks in advance everyone :)

ETA: i have a volvo crossroads if that makes any difference.

baby beau in his size 12 month jeans and his brothers 2T sweatshirt 

O.o

holy cheap batman!  whats up with those costco carseats?  they are only 40 bucks at walmart!!!  i didnt even know they made a carseat that cheap...crazy!

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fahmom
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM
We have the britax marathon 70 G3 ($220) and the safety first complete air 65 ($175). I like them both. The britax is a better fit in my husbands toyota 4runner and the safety 1st isn't ideal for smaller cars but fits well in my toyota sienna. Both required rolled up towels under the front end to get them at an appropriate angle. The britax seems more comfortable because of the padded straps. The safety 1st has better head protection and more leg room for rear facing. The straps of the safety 1st have gotten twisted a few times which is annoying. The weight limits differ but the height limits are the same. Which most children reach the height limit long before the weight limkt. Of the two I prefer the safety 1st. My DS doesn't seem to mind either one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juliet8826
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

From what I understand (info from an acquaintance who used to inspect carseat installations) they all pass the same safety tests so they're all equally safe. So from there is is just about finding one that is the right price for you, fits in your car, and is easy to use. We like our Evenflo Triumph but it is very wide. We have a Toyota Matrix and it takes up about a quarter of the seats next to it when it sits in the middle of the back. An adult can sit next to it, but it's not very comfortable. If I had it to do over I might consider a narrower seat. But she does seem comfortable in it and the straps are very easy to adjust which I like a lot. It also installed pretty easily which is important. I also like that it is OK to rear face up to 40lbs. I want to keep her rear facing as long as possible so I liked that.

clasater
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm getting a graco myride 65 for about 129 from Walmart.com it rear faces until like 30 pounds I think and then harnesses for a long time too. Sorry I don't remember the exact numbers lol but it's supposed to be a great seat thatll last a long time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM
If you sign up for a card at bru they'll send you 20% off coupons you can use on anything including most carseats. I got my myride with one for a little over $100. It RFs until 40 and has a higher shell than britax seats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebel_mommy09
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Some people in the car seat group was saying that at Target the new Graco 70 seats were ringing up $53 dollars. They are marked $125. Hope that helps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Isnt it twenty pounds AND a year?

I bought a britax boulevard 70. It rearfaces to 45 pounds, foward faces to 70.

Our baby is quite young to forward face.
bellaamore
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Quoting jellyphish:

If you sign up for a card at bru they'll send you 20% off coupons you can use on anything including most carseats. I got my myride with one for a little over $100. It RFs until 40 and has a higher shell than britax seats.

Britax boulard 70 has a shell that extends to a taller height, at least the new ones do.
larissalarie
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM
We got the my ride 65 (rf to 40 pounds, I think) for around $130 from target online, free shipping. My guy was over 20 pounds by 6 months also, so we'll be lucky to rf til 2!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM

We have the Myrides and the Complete Air and we love them both :D

tansyflower
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM

holy moly i never even thought about him outgrowing this one so fast, and the one we have that would be the next size up  but it doesnt fit well in my car rear facing so obviously we are not going to forward face him this young....uggh so a new carseat it is!

oh the joys of chunky little boys :)

Quoting larissalarie:

We got the my ride 65 (rf to 40 pounds, I think) for around $130 from target online, free shipping. My guy was over 20 pounds by 6 months also, so we'll be lucky to rf til 2!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN