Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Sore Throat Remedy/Prevention

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM
  • 26 Replies

DH has a sore throat that just started today. Hopefully it doesn't turn into anything...We were in the ER two nights ago and I told him I'd be really surprised if we didn't get sick after being around all those nasty germs... Anyway, I'd like to know what everyone's go-to remedy is for a sore throat and what I can do to hopefully not get it. I have some immune boosting lozenges I got from Whole Foods a while ago..

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Raw honey
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Well if you are breastfeeding and are able to respond to the pump, have him drink a couple ounces of breastmilk a few times a day. When I was still pumping my fiance and I would drink a little of my milk if we felt something coming on. Also honey in warm milk or tea works to soothe a sore throat. 

littlelambe2
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Gargle with salt water. Also hot water with a tsp of honey and a tsp of lemon juice will soothe it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Aloe juice. Make sure it's real, not a bunch of concentrate. I gargle and drink it straight but it's an acquired taste. I cut it wig juice for ds and dh. Gargle and drink 4oz every few hours. I often only feel sick one day when I do this, and feel improvement by the afternoon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greentealover18
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

i had a sore throat one and wasnt feeling very well in general morning and my neighbors mom came over and did reiki (spiritual healing) on me & i felt 1million times better! lol

Hyman
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Quoting jellyphish:

Raw honey

This!! Just used it for my son whos 13 months old. Makes your throat feel so much better. Also. I Read here about marshmallows and tried that once and it worked. But i ended up eating way too many of them lol
mjrex87
by Mindy on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:39 PM

That sounds awesome! 

Quoting TTC2Long:

Aloe juice. Make sure it's real, not a bunch of concentrate. I gargle and drink it straight but it's an acquired taste. I cut it wig juice for ds and dh. Gargle and drink 4oz every few hours. I often only feel sick one day when I do this, and feel improvement by the afternoon.

mjrex87
by Mindy on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

FebPenguins
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Quoting TTC2Long:

How do you know if it is 'real'?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Read the ingredients list. If there is a bunch of other stuff and aloe juice from concentrate, I'd keep looking. Get it if that's all you can find, but pure, unsweetened aloe juice is best. Health food stores would be more likely to have it than big chain markets. I get mine in a bug 2L container at Trader Joe's.

Quoting FebPenguins:

Quoting TTC2Long:

How do you know if it is 'real'?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)