Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Sore Throat Remedy/Prevention

Posted by   + Show Post

DH has a sore throat that just started today. Hopefully it doesn't turn into anything...We were in the ER two nights ago and I told him I'd be really surprised if we didn't get sick after being around all those nasty germs... Anyway, I'd like to know what everyone's go-to remedy is for a sore throat and what I can do to hopefully not get it. I have some immune boosting lozenges I got from Whole Foods a while ago..

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Replies (21-26):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Oh I just meant not in a comb. I guess I could have phrased it better: in nz you can only get honey comb?

Quoting turtle68:

IDK...Im confused now LOL  What is regular honey?

Quoting jellyphish:

Regular honey isn't available in nz?

Quoting turtle68:

oh I had no idea...thanks for that.

I come from a country where honey is used for everything....every household I knew had Manuka honey in their bathroom cupboard as well as the pantry.

Aged homecare facilities use it for bed sores.

I have to import it now....but I still love it.  Its a hard honey...you can buy the comb too in NZ but imported I have to have the tub of hard stuff.

Quoting jellyphish:

No. Conventional honey goes through some kind of heating/pasteurization process that kills all the antibacterial properties. Crystalized honey is raw. Raw honey can be smooth but usually has some degree of granular texture. It can be gently warmed in a pot of water on a LOW stove setting to smooth it out.

Honey Bear and other conventional honeys are not raw though. And they are soothing, and yummy, but their healing properties have been destroyed.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting jellyphish:

Raw honey

curious :-)  what is raw honey?  I thought all honey was raw...either hard or liquid, both are straight from the honey comb.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I love manuka honey...it comes in all three types, comb, hard and liquid (although even liquid is has a milky appearance.  I can buy Manuka hard and liquid honey here in Australia but if I want the comb I have to have it sent to me.

I just went and googled an image for you and it seems Manuka honey has gone fashionable LOL.  Too much info.  Apparently Manuka is one of the few honeys that dont lose their antibiotic bodies through dilution...but you can buy it in all strengths from10+-15+ active strengths.

They have put them in pretty bottles and called it ointment and balms...but it will always be in a tub in the cupboard next to the jams and peanut butter LOL

Quoting jellyphish:

Oh I just meant not in a comb. I guess I could have phrased it better: in nz you can only get honey comb?

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting turtle68:

I come from a country where honey is used for everything....every household I knew had Manuka honey in their bathroom cupboard as well as the pantry.

I have to import it now....but I still love it.  Its a hard honey...you can buy the comb too in NZ but imported I have to have the tub of hard stuff.

Quoting jellyphish:

No. Conventional honey goes through some kind of heating/pasteurization process that kills all the antibacterial properties. Crystalized honey is raw. Raw honey can be smooth but usually has some degree of granular texture. It can be gently warmed in a pot of water on a LOW stove setting to smooth it out.

Honey Bear and other conventional honeys are not raw though. And they are soothing, and yummy, but their healing properties have been destroyed.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting jellyphish:

Raw honey

curious :-)  what is raw honey?  I thought all honey was raw...either hard or liquid, both are straight from the honey comb.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Wow! I might have to look that up! Thanks!
I didn't even know honey got diluted. Thats a bummer, I'll have to look into that too.

Quoting turtle68:

I love manuka honey...it comes in all three types, comb, hard and liquid (although even liquid is has a milky appearance.  I can buy Manuka hard and liquid honey here in Australia but if I want the comb I have to have it sent to me.

I just went and googled an image for you and it seems Manuka honey has gone fashionable LOL.  Too much info.  Apparently Manuka is one of the few honeys that dont lose their antibiotic bodies through dilution...but you can buy it in all strengths from10+-15+ active strengths.

They have put them in pretty bottles and called it ointment and balms...but it will always be in a tub in the cupboard next to the jams and peanut butter LOL

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting jellyphish:

Raw honey

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcrogue
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Lemon tea and honey. I also like ginger tea, but might be just me. Lots of water and fresh air.  It's weird but at the end of my showers I've started turning them really cold to jolt my immune system, it's suppose to strengthen it. It seems to be working but I wouldn't do it when you've already been exposed it might allow you to get sick easier. . 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Sep. 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Honey and gargling with salt water

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Man I've got to get some raw honey.  It poured all mornning last Saturday and we couldn't get out to the farmers market.

Quoting jellyphish:

Raw honey

Natural Birth & Parenting Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)