Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Introducing solids to EBF

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:33 AM
  • 17 Replies
Hi everyone- I am new here. I'm wondering at what age most of you started introducing solids and how you did it- baby led weaning, rice cereal etc. would love to hear your experiences. Our daughter is 6 months old and still EBF. We are thinking about adding some solids in and looking for the best ways.
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Once they are 6 months, can sit independently, lost tongue thrust reflex, developed the pincer grasp.
Then baby led solids. Just put cubed solids on babys tray. Your job is to offer, babys job is to eat when theyre ready.
Rice cereal is useless, it can actually be harmful to a breastfed baby as the artificial iron blocks their ability to absorb the easily used iron in breastmilk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:02 AM
I started introducing around 6mo, but none of my kids started eating until after 8mo. They just kind of played with the food for a long time. All three of my kids and my nieces did that so I think it is pretty common.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM
We start around 7 months when baby can sit unassited. We chunk up soft whole foods like avacodo and banana and let baby play/fed themself. Also steamed veggies cooled and chunked. Always nurse BEFORE solids since solids are dessert and for learning till age one. And dont worry about making sure baby eats the solids, breastmilk is #1 not solids.

Oh and skip baby cereal the iron fortified actually can block the natural iron in moms milk and can lead to anemia. Its all over processed junk. Also humans dont create the enzyme to break down grains till almost a year of age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM

We changed with each child. As we learned and researched things.

1st - We did what the Dr said. Started to give her rice cereal at 6 mothhs and then store bought baby food.

2nd - We waited till she showed interest. We did store bought baby food for a bit and then switched to me making it for her.She was nine months when she started.

3rd - We did baby led weaning. She was 12 months old and really did not eat much at all. It was not till 14 months that she started to eat a meal with us every time. She was happy with and only needed breast milk till then.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Don't they need to have some teeth too? Or not so much?

Quoting melindabelcher:

Once they are 6 months, can sit independently, lost tongue thrust reflex, developed the pincer grasp.

Then baby led solids. Just put cubed solids on babys tray. Your job is to offer, babys job is to eat when theyre ready.

Rice cereal is useless, it can actually be harmful to a breastfed baby as the artificial iron blocks their ability to absorb the easily used iron in breastmilk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I waited until 10 months when I EBF.  Then I just fed baby anything off my plate that was soft and small enough for them.

melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM
No need for teeth. If you pay attention to how you chew food you use your back teeth. Most children don't get those until closer to one year. They use their gums. :)

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM
I waited until 9 months and then started baby led with avocado cubes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok thank you.

Hera does that on and off teething thing, and even when she has symptoms she's not swollen or showing white. She's almost six months so I just need to know what to look for. It'll be a while still though, she doesn't have any of the other milestones under her belt yet either.

Quoting melindabelcher:

No need for teeth. If you pay attention to how you chew food you use your back teeth. Most children don't get those until closer to one year. They use their gums. :)

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM
We waited until 8 months, then baby led weaning. Avocados, cooked beans, and basically whatever we are eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)