Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Asthma

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

My asthma has been so bad lately, what can I do besides using my inhaler all the time.  I hate using it this much.  I think it's because my allergies have been so bad this season but IDK.

Natural Birth & Parenting Mod

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM
I used to sit in the bathroom with the shower on hot and breath in the steam. A steam room helps too. My asthma gets worse in winter and when it rains a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm guessing you're already doing this, but just in case, eat a teaspoon of raw, local honey every day.

Magnolia7
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM

There are some dietary changes we can make to reduce allergies, such as eliminating cow's dairy products. It has really helped me in that I don't experience the phlegm and stuffy nose as much. As asthma and allergies are inflammatory conditions, diet and lifestyle changes to reduce inflammation are helpful.

Next I drink at least 1-2 cups of nettle tea each day during allergy season.  It acts as an antihistamine without the drowsniness. I actually started drinking it to boost my iron and then when I stopped noticed that my allergies hit me full force. Next I supplement with quercitin and vitamin c.  Quercitin is an antioxidant, vitamin C increases it's effectiveness and also boosts your immune system. 

On top of that stuff, of course look at your environment.  Air purifiers help, frequent dusting and vacuuming with a hepa-filter vacuum (you probably do most of this stuff), replacing pillows frequently, washing sheets in hot water, etc.

Yoga, tai chi, and meditation are also wonderful for the lungs.  When you practice deep breathing it strengthens your lungs and helps to ward off more attacks.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Thank you
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
What they said, plus eucalyptus. You can get some leaves and make a tea, and/or get some oil and make a massage blend. If you have young children, though, keep them away from the oil.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM

My dd had really bad asthma until we found out she had a soy allergy. We cut out all soy and she has had zero attacks. Might be worth a shot. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN