Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

they took away my wic because i use donor milk...vent UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

i just came back from the wi office and i am so upset.  they cut nearly all of my benfits because i am using donor milk.  i had been on the breastfeeding mother package since my son was born and had always been honest of my use of donor milk.  for the past 5 months there was no issue.  well the lady i spoke to today told me that because i wasnt actually breestfeeding him then i shouldnt be getting any of the food for breastfeeding mothers.  sigh.  fine okay i get it.  but because of how their computer system is set up there is no donor milk option so they switched my son to the formula feeding package which then cut all my other food benefits down to almost nothing.  and the kicker?!  THEY TOOK ALL THE FORMULA OFF THE VOUCHERS TOO.  so now my oldest son who used to get 8 half gallons of lactaid now only gets 4 and the rest of the check is for a couple of jars of baby food which i wont even use.

it upsets me all the way around.  i am trying to do the best for my son and avoiding formula is a lot of work.  my donor has started to wean and i wont have access to milk in less than a month, and because the vouchers are for the next 6 months even if i need to start him on formula i wont get any help from wic.  i feel so angry about the whole thing and like i am being punished for doing what i feel is right.  i just feel very frustrated.  really really frustrated :(

UPDATE:  so i spoke to my lc.  i guess even if you are partially breastfeeding (or in my case using donor milk) then at 6 months you are no longer considered post partum and are automatically switched to the formula package.  so that is what it is.  but THEN she looked at my oldest son's package and said it was a total mistake and manually went into the computer and changed it back to the full 8 half gallons a month.  and THEN she went in and gave me the formula because she was concerned that if i ran out of donor milk and switched the baby to straight formula that he could get very sick and wanted me to have access to formula so if my donor milk ran out (my milk donor is currently weaning and i have not found another) then i could slowly over the course of 2-3 weeks introduce a formula bottle once or twice a day into his routine instead of stopping breastmilk cold turkey.

sigh.  i am glad she explained things to me and fixed the things she could, and i am also glad she gave me the option of having formula at my disposal in case i need to use it!  thanks for listening to me vent!!!

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Replies (41-44):
catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM

So glad things were straightened out.. and I second the advice to seek out more donor milk! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

ADPIAKCMAMI
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Sry i have to ask but what do u mean by donor milk?..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Quoting ADPIAKCMAMI:

Some moms like the OP can not make enough breastmilk becuase of physical/medical issues.  These moms often seek out milk from other moms so their child can get breastmilk.  Other moms are willing to pump and provide milk for other babies besides their own.  Sometimes even nursing other babies besides their own.  That is donor milk.

ADPIAKCMAMI
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:07 AM
O okay...thanks!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting ADPIAKCMAMI:

Some moms like the OP can not make enough breastmilk becuase of physical/medical issues.  These moms often seek out milk from other moms so their child can get breastmilk.  Other moms are willing to pump and provide milk for other babies besides their own.  Sometimes even nursing other babies besides their own.  That is donor milk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)