Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

YAY DH :) A Breastfeeding Article (sorry a bit long)

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM
  • 8 Replies
DH is taking an online med terminology course and they need to post articles for discussions. He chose this one!!

Milk, Melk, Malk. What ever you call it milk is a major staple in good balanced nutrition. However the question is not how good is milk for you, but from what source is milk derived to give us the best nutritional outcome? And could milk save our lives? The answer is yes and Human milk may be number one. At least thats what the food chemists at U.C. Davis think.
It has long been known that breast milk has been an important factor in infant growth and brain development. For generations women fed their babies the way in which nature intended. Current markets are saturated with fast and easy alternatives, in the form of formulas. The article I chose for discussion is titled The Impressive Power of Breast Milk. According to this published article in Discover Magazine the formula industry is in a 3.5 billion-dollar annual income bracket in the United States alone. Companies are literally spending massive amounts of time and money on trying to explore milks nutritional values by creating processed alternatives. But milk may be fine just the way it is and also be
" a preventer of disease and an enhancer of performance." according to Bruce German, Food Chemist at U.C. Davis.
Diseases of the GI Tract pose major health risk to infants and premies. Mr. German and others saw this and wondered if breast fed babies (being healthier) would lead them to answers. Oligosaccharides (big sugar molocules) were discovered in breast milk. Why this is interesting is because our digestive systems cannot break them down. So why are they there? The article suggests that they may cause bacteria and parasites to attract to and cling to them thus expelling them as a whole unit from the body. Keeping or systems clean and healthy. Necrotizing Enterocolitis for example causes deterioration of intestinal tissue, and results in a quarter of all premies and sick infants who contract the illness to die. Bacteria may be a major cause of this. Other illnesses including parasitic protozoans and Streptococcus were also found to be attracted to the sugars found in breast milk. These discoveries are important because they could change the way people view breast feeding and could help in preventing illness in infants. So in conclusion could the breast be best? You decide.

Link:
http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jun/03-the-impressive-power-of-breast-milk

I am also so proud of him because someone responded with this:

I am all for breast feeding. I think it is good for children. The only thing I don't like is when kids are still 3-5 years old and still being breast fed. I would say up to a year at the most is enough. I breast fed for only one month and then went to formula, but it was better than not doing it at all.

And DH replied:
Thank you for your reply. I agree, breast feeding is good for children. It's great you had an opportunity to do it for your little one. I must respectfully disagree with you on one point however. If nursing a child is indeed such a beneficial experience for both mother and child why stop after just one year? Statements made by the Word Health Organization (WHO) recommend mothers, "continue breast feeding up to the age of two years or beyond." according to www.who.int. If the studies done in my article do in fact provide sufficient evidence that the compounds in breast milk carry such profound health benefits, why cut off such a valuable resource to a child so early? Ponder this assertion, should the researchers accomplish extracting or replicating the important compounds found in human milk we all may be encouraged to consume breast milk in one form or another. The notion that adults may one day consume breast milk derivatives is very interesting and definitely not conventional. Anyway, I am in no way discrediting you. My only intention is to create meaningful and constructive back-and-forth discussion. Again thank you for responding
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

wtg hubs!!

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Of COURSE someone responded with that. That's a testament to the ignorance surrounding breastfeeding. Your husband is awesome. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAHM927
by Lesly on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:37 PM
I sensed a little hostility since she gave up after a month.. And thank you :)
Quoting justone_jen:

Of COURSE someone responded with that. That's a testament to the ignorance surrounding breastfeeding. Your husband is awesome. :)

catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Great response from your husband!

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

SAHM927
by Lesly on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM
I agree :) Thank you.
Quoting catholicmamamia:

Great response from your husband!

Amberleigh81
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Yay hubs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yay hubby!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice job Hubby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN