Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

33 weeks and nervous...

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM
  • 2 Replies

Due date is approaching.. and i REALLy want to go natural... everyone i talk to thinks i'm insane and tells me "don't be a hero" .. this is our first baby so i have no idea what to expect.. all i'm getting is horror stories :( my last midwife appointment we were discussing pain management and just going over options..  this is my game plan:

First of all we are having the baby at the hospital just because its our first and my husband would feel more comfortable doing it this way..

so i want to do as much labouring at home as i can, call the midwives, meet them at the midwife office and depending on far along i am either do some more labouring there or go to the hospital.

once we get to the hospital again, depending on how far along i am, i want to use their tub with jets to help take some of the edge off the contractions.. when i'm to the point that they want me out of the water i'd get on the bed and try using the gas if i needed to or gravol.. i really want to use the epidural as a last result and only do it if either my labor is retardedly long  or if they think for some reason that i might need a c-section.. no point in going through all the pain and just get frozen anyways..

but when i discuss this plan with family or with friends or co-workers they all just tell me to get the epidural and to enjoy labor adn the experience instead of putting myself through this pain....

i know what i want to do but i'm losing confidence in myself because of those around me :(

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Don't discuss it with those around you then.  Surround yourself with positive thinking.  You can do it and it sounds like a great plan.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Great plan!

First, you're not being a hero, you're being a mother. Motherhood is about prioritizing your child's health and there's every reason to start that in pregnancy.

Second, I've had a medicated birth (though w/o an epi), and natural birth (water labor at a hospital), and I can tell you, based on my experience, that a natural birth is much more enjoyable than a medicated birth. You won't enjoy feeling loopy, numb, or knowing you've put your child's health at risk, prolonged labor, and increased your chances of c/s.

Find someone supportive and bitch slap everyone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)