Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Modern Medicine Fail! Ideas?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM
  • 20 Replies

My son has had this rash beside his bottom lip since sometime in August. At first I ignored it thinking it would go away on it's own. Then I tried coconut oil and when that didn't help, breastmilk.
After about a month, I caved and took him to the doctor. First we were given a steroid cream. That actually helped the most, it was almost gone but then came back. Back to the doctor we went. Now they say impetigo and gave us antibiotic cream to apply. This does nothing except perhaps make it look worse. So after waiting two more weeks I take him to the doctor yet again on Monday. Now they're saying staph infection and gave us more powerful topical antibiotic PLUS an oral antibiotic. I cringe at giving an antibiotic since he'll be 4 next week and has only had them maybe once before, but I'm willing to try anything to get this thing to go away at this point!
Well it's Friday now and his face looks just as bad :-( I'm seriously tempted to take him to the urgent care at Children's and demand testing until they figure this out...but that's ridiculous, it's just a rash! An incredibly expensive rash! You don't even wanna know the tab so far on the various treatments...

So any ideas natural Dr Mommas? My experience with my hand rashes being from wheat makes me think food allergy, but I don't really know anything about rashes. We didn't used to be rash having kinda people!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yikesitsmindy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry no help with diagnosis, but I would take him to another doctor. Staph infections are scary. Can't they test for that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsAdorkable
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Could it possibly be allergic?
Nolanzo
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:05 AM
Staph infection? Yikes. That scares the crap out of me... I do not think a visit to childrens is unwarranted if you've been told that's what it is... but that's just me and I'm neurotic and paranoid. Can you get a referral to a dermatologist? They are so much better at diagnosing rashes correctly!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laurade024
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:55 AM
This exactly

Quoting Nolanzo:

Staph infection? Yikes. That scares the crap out of me... I do not think a visit to childrens is unwarranted if you've been told that's what it is... but that's just me and I'm neurotic and paranoid. Can you get a referral to a dermatologist? They are so much better at diagnosing rashes correctly!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Id put some tea tree or lavender oil on it, dabbing it with a cottonball.just dab it a few times a day.
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Is he a thumb sucker? My daughter had rushes all over her mouth when she used a pacifire
RochelleFS
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Looks like impetigo to me. My niece and nephew used to get that a lot and it can turn into a staph infection. I would put some vitamin e oil on it w/ a few drops of tea tree EO mixed in. An allergy rash would change and move around a bit. It wouldn't stay in one place. In my experience allergy rashes will simultaniously clear and show up in new spots.

larissalarie
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Yeah I need to get a referral. It's not really scary since it's just on his face and he's acting normal and healthy. If he were fevered and sick it would be scary though!

Quoting Nolanzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Thanks, we'll try this!

Quoting bellaamore:

Id put some tea tree or lavender oil on it, dabbing it with a cottonball.just dab it a few times a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Nope he's never sucked his thumb or used a pacifier.

Quoting amazzonia:

Is he a thumb sucker? My daughter had rushes all over her mouth when she used a pacifire
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)