Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

slings or wraps for a pretty big one year old?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM
  • 11 Replies
My son will be one on Tuesday and he used to love his Moby wrap but he has always been a biiig boy so I quit using it. I could never figure out how to get him in forward facing so that it was tight enough and I don't know if there are any ways to.use it so he can sit on my hip.... I was wondering if that is even possible, or if any of you have suggestions on slings for that. O love holding him but I have two older boys and he is 25 pounds so it kills my arms!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I've always used my sleepywrap and Boba. Not a fan of slings so far.

LondonsMomma84
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Ring slings are great as are woven wraps. My son was 24 pounds at 1 year and I have kept wearing him until now (21 months) in my woven wrap which I love.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM
I prefer a soft structured carrier like the Boba over a sling for that size kiddo! At this point a sling will hurt your shoulder with how much he weighs. The Boba holds up to a 45 lb kiddo. It's very comfy and you can wear them on your back or front.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Yeah a woven wrap is also good for a bigger kid. I have one but use my Boba a lot more because I'm always on the go. I like having options though =)

Quoting LondonsMomma84:

Ring slings are great as are woven wraps. My son was 24 pounds at 1 year and I have kept wearing him until now (21 months) in my woven wrap which I love.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
And happy birthday to your little boy! My youngest just turned one not even two weeks ago. They grow up way too fast!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Id use an upright carrier like an ergi, boba or beco
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Stretchy wraps should not be used for a child over 15lbs or so anyways so moby and sleep wrap are out.

Forward facing is not good for a childs hips and back..hip carrying, facing in and back carries are the way togo.

Woven wraps like Natibaby and Didymous re pricey but work well.  Babyhawk mei tais are great, Boba and Ergo are structured carriers that are awesome

LaughterHugs
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Why carrying a baby facing out (bjorn/snugli/infantino/jeep) is not such a good idea

http://www.bobafamily.com/blog/2011/10/11/nine-reasons-not-to-carry-your-baby-facing-out/

All the variety of good slings fall into 3 major categories

One shoulder carriers.

**Recommended site **http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5883368**
This includes pouches or ring slings.

Pros:

• easy in easy out,
  • gives you upright and horizontal positions,
  • very comfy hip carry.
  • good for nursing.
  • fold up to almost nothing.
  • Ring Sling is adjustable and  can be shared by parents. 

Cons:

• spread the weight over one shoulder, that will get sore if worn for a long time.
  • Longer learning curve.
  • Back carry is possible but not the most comfortable in the long run.
  • Pouch is not adjustable, if sizing is not correct the pouch will become uncomfortable or impossible to wear.

Simple pieces of cloth

**Recommended site**http://www.etsy.com/shop/babyette **
This includes rebozos, short wraps and full-length wraps - the most versatile of the whole bunch. They can be stretchy (knit) or non-stretchy (woven).

Pros:

• super dee duper versatile - millions of wearing positions.
  • spread weight over both shoulders in most positions.
  • Woven wrap will last you from newborn to toddler to child stage.
  • Knit wraps are very forgiving and will feel comfy even with less than perfect wrapping.

Cons:

• Longer learning curve.
  • Some wraps may feel too warm in hot climate

Asian inspired

**Recommended site http://paxbaby.com/zen/structured-carriers-c-11.html**
Mei-tais, onbuhimos, podageis, ERGO, Boba, Beco, ABC, BHOS.

Pros:

• spread weight over both shoulders
  • easy learning curve
  • wide selection of pretty panels
  • easy back carry
  • adjustable and most will fit both parents

Cons:

• hip carry is possible in some but not the most comfortable
  • no horizontal carry
  • not to comfy to breastfeed an infant in, but older babies do fine.

SO, what is right for you? I don't know. They are like shoes, you can't have just one pair.  The wrap would be your walking shoe - comfy for longer periods.  Asian inspired carriers are great for back carrying. I'd say it's a fancier walking shoe :) One shoulder carriers would be your flip flop that gives you fast in and out, but you wouldn't wear it to .. Disney, for example.

Hope that helps :)

***Special Thanks to Tanya Taylor at www.wearingbabies.com***

back40mama
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I make my own and have tried a couple different styles. But love my sling that's similar to the Seven sling. comfy and she loves it! Good up to 35 pounds.

amiesue1
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Ahhhh thank you all so much! This has helped a TON! I can't thank you all enough
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)