Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It has been awhile, but DS2's EDD is coming u so I thought it was time to post our birth story.

On August 22nd my water broke in bed. I wasn't due until mid october, so needless to say I called the hospital. They said I probably urinated myself and I should lie back down to see if it happens again. Over the next couple of days I continued calling with various complaints ("I am now having these many contractions per hour, enough discharge to change a pantyliner every hour" etc. Which was always answered with "Drink a full glass of water and lie down for an hour") I rationalized that these mustt just be BH. On the 24th I took a bath and a tylenol to help with the pain & decided I shouuld also checkmy dilation. I chould feel his head just under my cerix.
This time I didn't call, just told DF I think it is time to go. The hospital was 1 1/2 hrs away, and I wasa scareed I was going to deliver rematurely on the side of the road. I started to wish I would've gone when I first knew labor was starting rather then let myself be calmed down. We made it in time, and I delivered on August 25th at 3:20am to a beautiful 4lb 2oz, 15in baby boy.
There was a point when he was crowning I started thinking "I can't do this!" then I told myself "I have to."

I watched Tristyn come into this world & knew something was off.
He was born with gastroschisis -His insides in the outside. The hospital had to transfer him to one that had a better equipped & experienced NICU -another hour away! They were made sure to bring him back to see us before transport & were able to find me a bed at the hospital.
His gastroschisis was unique, with a muscle membrane enclosing his intestines. That made the first surgery difficult. He has now had 2 surgeries & a few smaller procedures. Everything is "inside" but his skin has not grown enough to close, so it is being held in with an artificial skin. Surgery has released him & trained my on his dressing changes. He breathes well on his own, holds body tempature, eats like a champ (and evvery feedinig I am here is at breast!) and can go home as soon as he is weaned off morphine!

I didn't get the water birth I wanted & had to deliver on my back, but I did get to labor in the tub & at home, with no pain meds (other then 1 tylenol at the very end.)
There was a point in time where I beat myself up about not going sooner ("what if they could've stopped labor? or found the defect on ultrasound when checking my fluid levels?") But now I know this is exactly how it was meant to happen. Oddly enough I am happier with this birth then my first son's.
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:28 AM
Replies (11-17):
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Congratulations. praying your little man will keep doing well. :)

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Congrats! Sending Healing thoughts and love to you and your son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Congrats. Praying for your lo!

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Bless you (and his) heart!!! You've been through a lot! Prayers for your little guy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Congrats! great story. Strong little guy and mama!

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:48 PM

 I'm glad you are happy with his birth and that he has survived so much.  He's just incredible!

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Congrats! On your new baby boy! Sounds like he is getting excellent care. I'm sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted, but you made the best decisions you could at the time and you are both ok and that's what matters. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)