Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

staph infection?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM
  • 7 Replies
My dd is now having her third staph infection. (Non mrsa). The first two were on her bum. Now she just developed one on her stomach. She is also battling a yeast infection due to the antibiotics from the last staph infection.

I have her eating yogurt to try to combat the yeast as well as using coconut oil. And she is on antibiotics again for the staph. Any suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM
I would go get Natures Bounty probiotics. It will say 10 billion cultures on the box. She definitely needs some good bacteria in her body to keep from getting a yeast infection! My kids take these and they work great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I don't know. I need to watch out for the others' suggestions too. I've gotten two infections on the top of my vagina recently. I don't know why in the world I'd keep getting those. They are annoying.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM
I have a strange question but what does the staph look like? My friend was asking about a weird rash on her kids and it's in their diaper area but isn't a diaper rash
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaoftwo
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM
It looks like a pimple to begin with. Then it gets more ......volcano like? There is a hard ball, a cyst like structure, under the skin raising it up, then it gets a purpler color in the middle with it lightening to pink/red
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM
OK thanks!

Quoting mommaoftwo:

It looks like a pimple to begin with. Then it gets more ......volcano like? There is a hard ball, a cyst like structure, under the skin raising it up, then it gets a purpler color in the middle with it lightening to pink/red
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rlambert6002
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:10 AM

I now consider myself somewhat of an expert about staph :-( My youngest ds had his first infection and was hospitalized at 3 mths old. He's now 3 and since birth has been hospitalized twice and had 4 IND's (incision & drainage). Those were the worst ones....he has had another etsimated 20+ infections (and I'd say that's estimating low). His first 1-2 years were the worst. It was like every single month he had one. His that were IND'd were cultured and found to be MRSA though. His were mostly in the buttock and thigh areas. First I would reccommend that you try to rely mainly on soaks. Get the water as warm/hot as your little one can stand it. I think tub soaks work better but you can also do cloth soaks. I like tub soaks because you can occupy them longer so they soak longer. Do this 4-5 times a day. The hot soaking helps bring the infection to a head and drain. DO NOT use salt of any type in the water. Alot of older folks will say to, but staph thrives on salt.  Of course when not soaking make sure you keep it well covered and continue to do so until it stops draining. The reason I reccommend soaking mainly is because excessive use of the antibiotics can lead to resistance. This is especially so when infections occur close together. With my son we got to where at the very first sign of a pimple of any type we started soaks. I also made up a spray that I sprayed his body down with each morning and night that consisted of apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil (and water). Yes, it stunk, but both have been proven effective against staph. Also, if your dd is in diapers and you cloth diaper make sure you disinfect them. Any clothing that may come into contact with the wound or drainage should be bagged and washed seperately in the hottest water available. Staph can live on dust for 9 hours so it's very hard to fight :-(  Like some others said I would reccommend a probiotic to help your dd with the yeast. Hope she gets better soon.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I would use a pro biotic. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)