Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Learn to sew?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM
  • 10 Replies
So I am wondering how you ladies learned to sew(on a machine)? If anyone learned through classes?

I really want to learn and I was thinking about taking the classes at Jo Anns but idk if I will learn enough to sew on my own ya know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I learned threw 4-H and my grandmother. There are some great classes that teach you the basic's that are needed. 

RachieAych
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I figured out some of the basic stuff on my own.  As I go I just look things up online.

littlemonaghan
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I taught myself. I look up stuff online that I'm not sure about...for example, lol, when I first started sewing, I saw mention of a seam ripper, I didn't know what that was, so when I messed up, I literally ripped my fabric apart, and thought...of I get it, seam ripper! lol

Not so much. lol. 

Raeann11
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

My Mother and Grandmother taught me some. But I learned the most in my sewing classes in Junior High and High school.

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I'm mostly self taught.  I got a basic sewing machine and had someone show me how everything worked, then from there I used online tutorials for projects and basic stitches, then worked up to using patterns.  Some bloggers are really good about pictures and instructions and that helps a lot.  I would suggest maybe a sewing class just to get the basic idea of how the machine works and how to troubleshoot basic issues.

EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM

i learned through school and my mom. i still call her a lot though. :)

is there an older woman you could reach out to for help? i think you would learn a lot more from a one on one session. and she would probably be thrilled to help.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I want to take a class once I can be away from ds long enough. 

chiarore
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I learned basics from my grandma and mom and took classes later for quilting techniques and stuff. Now if I can't figure something out I just look it up online but I think you need basic skills in place first. I do think a class might be a good idea, especially on your own sewing machine. Sometimes when you buy a machine somewhere you can get classes in basic sewing and how to use your machine...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:36 AM

My mom taught me.  We had to sew something every summer when I was growing up.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM

My mom TRIED to teach me :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN