Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Do you upcycle?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM
  • 22 Replies

Do you upcycle anything?

Some things I've seen are upcycling baby clothes to toys, upcycling food cans to pencil holders or other kinds of holders, upcycling cereal boxes to magazine holders.

How interested are you in upcycling?

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I upcycle as much as I can. I make jeans that have holes in the knees and below into skirts.

I am going to start to make jean rugs. With old jeans of ours that are no longer good.

I use containers that had food and if I can reuse them I do. So basically if I can figure something out to use it for. It gets used for that.

melindabelcher
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Hmmmmm I really dont upcycle very much but this is something I should look into more!!
It just doesn't even dawn on me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM

No, not usually. We reuse glass jars around the house but that's all I can think of.

Raeann11
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Oh old socks of my hubbys, become extra warm for during the winter months. So when we are outside shoveling or the girls play. We just cut off the top apart and a hole for the thumb. It also helps cover the part the glove and coat leave open skin quite a bit.

I also use old socks for sock buns for my hair.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM
We do a little.

I use DHs old holey socks/tee shirts as cloth diaper liners/cloth wipes/inserts.

Glass jars around the house.

Card board/toilet paper rolls for the girls crafting/homeschooling.

Roommates plastic food containers (cake frosting, yogurt, margarine, reusable take out containers, etc) for leftover dinner storage.

Juice & vinegar jugs for water storage to save gallons as hurricane prep. (Live in Gulfport, MS).

Clothes not fit to donate also get cut into wash clothes/diaper liners.

That's all I can think of atm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM
Oh yeah i turn a lot into toys

My fav one my mom did for us
Take a quaker oatmeal container
(You know the cylinder ones)
Cut it in half the long way and you have two identical baby doll craddles
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM

We do a little bit of upcycling.. :o) 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

RachieAych
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I've made diapers out of old t-shirts and towels.  I have recently turned my husbands old t-shirts into bags.

EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM

i do some stuff. but i'm not obssessed. old huggies wipes containers now house ds's socks and all of our family cloth. i use disposable diaper boxes as organizers (ironically one now holds all of our cloth diapers.) in the past i have used juice cans for pencil holders. i also try very hard to not throw out anything fabric.

EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM

my mom did the cut socks to protect my wrists as well!!!

how do you use a sock in your hair? i can never get my bun just right even though i have thick long hair.

Quoting Raeann11:

Oh old socks of my hubbys, become extra warm for during the winter months. So when we are outside shoveling or the girls play. We just cut off the top apart and a hole for the thumb. It also helps cover the part the glove and coat leave open skin quite a bit.

I also use old socks for sock buns for my hair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)