Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What makes natural moms so different??

Posted by   + Show Post
So im reading my cousins facebook posts about her new baby boy (ds2 and this baby are a month apart 3&2 mo). Anyway her posts are things like 'baby doesnt like bf so we are goin with formula' , 'he took his 2 m shots like a champ'.
Now I think she is a very good mom, she has 4 kids and she's sahm. I would describe her as a very traditional mom. Strollers, pampers, formula(choosing to use, not needing). As opposed to us babywearing, CD, EBF more 'natural moms'
My question to you is what do you think makes the difference (IYO) between the 2 parenting styles? Do you think they must not care as much, or just dont know any better or whatever your op is?

Im not trying to start some war. I was just pondering why my cousin would choose that parenting style and what makes us so different.

sorry its so long and babbly, its hard to get out what im asking without offending anyone:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM
I think we just don't blindly do something. Even something as simple as diapers. I would have never thought diapers could be harmful. But I look into everything. So bf, cd, no vaccines to name a few.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Same here. I cringe when i see some of their status updates on fb

Quoting AmberRose1122:

I honestly think both are doing what they think is best for their child. My family thinks I'm nuts for raising my son the way I do, and I think they are for the things they do lol :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmberRose1122
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Oh my me too. I turned out alright and I was raised by my family...but I always wonder if my stomach issues come from being formula-fed and also my mom giving me cereal at 6 weeks.

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting AmberRose1122:

I honestly think both are doing what they think is best for their child. My family thinks I'm nuts for raising my son the way I do, and I think they are for the things they do lol :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this
This made me laugh because I was at a baby shower over the weekend and we all had to tell the expecting mother (my cousin) a book we recommend literally everyone said what to expect when you're expecting she came to my sister and she said The Thinking Woman's Guide to Better Child Birth and I said Ina Mays Guide to Child Birth. We got some strange looks and one very ignorant comment but two moms that wanted to know more. :)

Quoting orangeshirt:

You mean to tell me skimming old copies of "What to Expect" and "Baby 411" isn't research?! ;-)

Quoting sreichelt26:

I agree 100%.

I know out of all everyone I know IRL, the ones that are traditional don't research anything. Ever. They go by what they heard somewhere or what someone told them to do.

Quoting larissalarie:

I think the natural moms question the cultural norms and out baby first and the mainstream moms just go with the whatever everyone else is doing and cling to whatever makes parenthood more convenient.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM
The natural moms I know seem to be more intune with their children. We baby wear, breast feed, co sleep. Our children are generally just closer. My baby is 2 months and still wakes every 4 hours to eat. I can't tell you how many times I've heard to let her CIO or put cereal in her bottle. Then they are shocked she doesn't use a bottle. I've been told these things make it more convenient to which my reply is pregnancy isn't convenient neither are babies and children I don't mind her waking me if she needs me. I also love the poster that said we are inquisitive. Natural mamas seem to question more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Well... for me, I know that I was a lot more convenience-minded with my first and was young and naiive (I am NOT saying traditional moms are, but I was) and did everything according to the book... stopped bfing too quickly, sposies dipes, plastic everything, full vax on schedule, etc... the whole nine yards. The one thing I DID do that falls more in line with natural parenting was baby led solids.

And my son is a happy, intelligent, wonderful, well adjusted teenager today with that style.

This time around I just feel older and wiser and am questioning more traditional practices.. most at the forefront of my mind is being more enviornmentally aware and living greener.

So this time I'm cding, avoiding petroleum products whenever practical, home schooling and selective/delayed vax.

I think great kids can come out of both parenting styles and so can not-so-great kids.

I'm choosing to do things differently this time around for many different reasons but I most certainly was not lazy with ds. Parenting is hard work with a stroller bottle and sposie diaper too :P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM
It is difficult, even for me, not to be reverse judgemental of others parenting styles. I have to remind myself that most mothers are doing what is right for them and their families. It seems like to us, generally speaking crunchy moms, that they are harming their children. When the truth is they think the same about us when it comes to the vaccine and bed sharing issues.
When my first son was born I went to the store and bought a snugli, my choices were limited to a bunch of crotch danglers. I carried him around in that thing all the time and was judgemental to the poor babies who were stuck in those car seats. For all I know, there might have been another mom judging me because I had I absolutely no knowledge of ergo's, slings, or moby's.
I became crunchy as an evolution of myself, becoming friends with a very crunchy mom, and joining this forum. When I became a mom, something's didn't feel right to me. When I did things in front of my friend that weren't crunchy, she would educate me Ina non judgemental way. I learn something new almost everyday from this forum. I do what is right for me and what feels right for my family, even of mainstream or crunchy moms don't agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Yeah, i see a lot of, what do i do about this, or he's sick again.
Problems I've never had. My dd has been sick once. Yet they don't want my advice.
I'll get older family members saying things about how good, healthy, alert, etc. my dd is, and in the same breath, oh you don't need to do that. Well it obviously works, lol.

Quoting AmberRose1122:

Oh my me too. I turned out alright and I was raised by my family...but I always wonder if my stomach issues come from being formula-fed and also my mom giving me cereal at 6 weeks.

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting AmberRose1122:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hcplaskus
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM
A major distinction for me is co-sleeping. I don't mean *in the bed with you* I mean in the same room. Sooo many other moms think I'm so hippie for co-sleeping. Also, obviously moms who choose formula. It makes me angry... And then there are the moms who keep their baby in a carseat or stroller at all timea because it's more convenient and easier for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Most people tend to do what their friends and family do. It's probably what she's been raised with so she's never seriously considered doing anything else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)