Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

first time I saw pregnant lady smoking!

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM
  • 29 Replies

I never see this, or maybe not ever noticed. Yesterday my husbadn and I were driving and noticed this pregnant women with a man. I saw her and she was well into her pregnancy, and she looked unhealthy to me. I was wondering if maybe she was homeless or something. Then I saw her just plainly pull our a cigarette and start smoking. It makes me sick to my stomach. I understand that smoking is a habit hard to quit, my DH smokes at work., but I just couldn't bleieve someone shamelessly smoking like that in public. It felt to me like she didn't even care. So sad :(

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moroccanmommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Very sad. Poor baby.
Babies are higher risk of dying with smoking parents
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_Natural
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

My SIL and I were pregnant at the same time way back when. She smoked the entire pregnancy. I knew she did and yet I was still shocked every time I saw her do it.

Our pregnancies were so different in general. I was so careful, didn't want caffeine, I exercised, ate healthy. She smoked and drank Pepsi Max (has extra caffeine) all day. I don't get it. I tried to give her healthy suggestions but she just wasn't interested. =\ Our daughters were born just 3 days apart. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I always feel really sad when I see that. I've read that oxygen is cut off to the baby's brain while mom is smoking.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:04 PM
I have seen it more times than I can count and it angers me everytime. I get upset because there are so many people who want to get pregnant and go through hell and back to have a baby. I understand it's a hard habit to break, but it's still difficult to see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fellie
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I see it all the time. It makes me very sad.

NightSky1701
by Angela on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Smoking is really bad for children. I was a smoker for fifteen years so I can attest, it is VERY hard to quit. But, I quit when I got pregnant with my first child. I didnt smoke for several years then picked it back up (stupid) I quit again when I got preganant with my son. So I know how hard it is but  Ive done it twice so I also know it can be done.  If a woman really wants to she'll find a way to quit and healthy babies are SO WORTH IT!!! I really hate seeing pregnant women smoke too and I see it all the time. Ugh. I agree you would at least think they would be ashamed and try to hide it.

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM

:( That's sad.

I once saw a woman who must have been 7-8 months pregnant, in a bar, downing shots of liquor like it was nothing. This was in my (horrible backwards, scummy) hometown, so it wasn't surprising, but it was so sad. I wanted to slap her and the bartender who was serving her. 

crazycurls920
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Are we the same person?????
You sound just like me. Our sons were 14 days apart. She had an unhealthy pregnancy and my nephew was born a month early by c section.

Quoting Mommy_Natural:

My SIL and I were pregnant at the same time way back when. She smoked the entire pregnancy. I knew she did and yet I was still shocked every time I saw her do it.

Our pregnancies were so different in general. I was so careful, didn't want caffeine, I exercised, ate healthy. She smoked and drank Pepsi Max (has extra caffeine) all day. I don't get it. I tried to give her healthy suggestions but she just wasn't interested. =\ Our daughters were born just 3 days apart. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

It breaks my heart to see an expectant mother smoking. Thankfully, I do not see it often. 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Mommy_Natural
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Crazy! She was due after me and had her baby 3 days after mine. Hers was early too. =\

Quoting crazycurls920:

Are we the same person?????
You sound just like me. Our sons were 14 days apart. She had an unhealthy pregnancy and my nephew was born a month early by c section.

Quoting Mommy_Natural:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN