Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

first time I saw pregnant lady smoking!

Posted by   + Show Post

I never see this, or maybe not ever noticed. Yesterday my husbadn and I were driving and noticed this pregnant women with a man. I saw her and she was well into her pregnancy, and she looked unhealthy to me. I was wondering if maybe she was homeless or something. Then I saw her just plainly pull our a cigarette and start smoking. It makes me sick to my stomach. I understand that smoking is a habit hard to quit, my DH smokes at work., but I just couldn't bleieve someone shamelessly smoking like that in public. It felt to me like she didn't even care. So sad :(

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
crazycurls920
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Same here, her son was born 2 weeks before mine.

Quoting Mommy_Natural:

Crazy! She was due after me and had her baby 3 days after mine. Hers was early too. =\

Quoting crazycurls920:

Are we the same person?????

You sound just like me. Our sons were 14 days apart. She had an unhealthy pregnancy and my nephew was born a month early by c section.

Quoting Mommy_Natural:

My SIL and I were pregnant at the same time way back when. She smoked the entire pregnancy. I knew she did and yet I was still shocked every time I saw her do it.

Our pregnancies were so different in general. I was so careful, didn't want caffeine, I exercised, ate healthy. She smoked and drank Pepsi Max (has extra caffeine) all day. I don't get it. I tried to give her healthy suggestions but she just wasn't interested. =\ Our daughters were born just 3 days apart. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM
wow! Is it legal for a bartender to serve a pregnant women shots like that? so sad! and sick :(

Quoting schultzal:

:( That's sad.

I once saw a woman who must have been 7-8 months pregnant, in a bar, downing shots of liquor like it was nothing. This was in my (horrible backwards, scummy) hometown, so it wasn't surprising, but it was so sad. I wanted to slap her and the bartender who was serving her. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM
yep....I believe my mil actually smoked during both of her pregnancies....I do think she tried to limit it....but still. Both her babies came out pretty tiny....5 lbs about. I think there were some health issues with my bil too.

Quoting crazycurls920:

Same here, her son was born 2 weeks before mine.

Quoting Mommy_Natural:

Crazy! She was due after me and had her baby 3 days after mine. Hers was early too. =\

Quoting crazycurls920:

Are we the same person?????

You sound just like me. Our sons were 14 days apart. She had an unhealthy pregnancy and my nephew was born a month early by c section.

Quoting Mommy_Natural:

My SIL and I were pregnant at the same time way back when. She smoked the entire pregnancy. I knew she did and yet I was still shocked every time I saw her do it.

Our pregnancies were so different in general. I was so careful, didn't want caffeine, I exercised, ate healthy. She smoked and drank Pepsi Max (has extra caffeine) all day. I don't get it. I tried to give her healthy suggestions but she just wasn't interested. =\ Our daughters were born just 3 days apart. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thalia7758
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Years before I got pregnant one of my good friends smoked while she was pregnant. She was really embarrassed about it but I think she was just too addicted to quit. I tried not to be judgmental at the time, so I shrugged it off. Then last year I got pregnant and couldn't stop thinking about her daughter, who did end up having some health problems that might or not be related to the smoking. I feel really judgmental and terrible, but I stopped talking to my friend. :-/ Mostly because I think she's a bad mom (for more reasons that just that!), and then I'm embarrassed and ashamed that I would be the  kind of person who would think that. Oh well. So I'm judgmental. Don't smoke when you're pregnant! 

mrs_smiph
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Sad. It's pretty common here to see pregnant women in bars...dancing, drinking and smoking. (At least, it was pretty common a few years back when I frequented bars LOL.)

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I wonder that, myself. 

Quoting Precious333:

wow! Is it legal for a bartender to serve a pregnant women shots like that? so sad! and sick :(

Quoting schultzal:

:( That's sad.

I once saw a woman who must have been 7-8 months pregnant, in a bar, downing shots of liquor like it was nothing. This was in my (horrible backwards, scummy) hometown, so it wasn't surprising, but it was so sad. I wanted to slap her and the bartender who was serving her. 

H.I.S.
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM
My neighbor was pregnant at the same time as me, only with twins, and she smoked all the time. It always made me cringe to see her light up, but so far her twins are okay. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM

I smoked through all my pregnancies...I knew it was bad and felt guilty everytime I picked up a cigarette.  Im a selfish person.

I dont judge others that do it.  People will judge you enough as a mother.

larissalarie
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM
Sadly, I've both seen and known pregnant smokers. It always makes me terribly sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outstandingLove
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM

My ex husband's first wife smoked through all of her pregnancies. I took my step son to a visit with her once while she was pregnant and we all went out for lunch. She announced she needed to leave the table to go smoke.

Well DS1 who was only 5 or 6 at that time asked her if the baby liked it when she smoked. She blushed and just said "no, probably not."

I was surprised my son could even comprehend that the mothers choices would effect the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)