Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Ped said I should stop BF?! Vent...

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM
  • 33 Replies
I take my kids to a naturopath and a chiro usually. But they do have a pediatrician under our insurance. I think theyve seen him 4 times? Between the two of them. Anyway, my son burned his arm, I took him to a hospital (cringe) and was told to follow up with a ped. Im tight on money so our insurance covered the hospital and would cover the pediatrician but not the NMD.

My son had his visit today (6 days post burn) and for starters, I was asked if I wanted to give him a tetanus shot for the burn. As if it makes any sense at all, for any reason under the conditions lol especially since ive never vaccinated and he knows that. Then the doc ridiculed me for not giving the rotavirus vaccine after I told him my son caught rotavirus and it lasted TWO days back in april (he hasnt seen my son in a year and wanted to know what happened since last visit. Id say one illness in a year means pretty healthy kid, right?) I pointed out the side effects of the vaccine are rotavirus symptoms and its not 100% effective, meaning he could potentially get the virus TWICE, once post shot and once wild if it failed. This quack still tells me the benifits outweigh the risks lol

So he asked me if I had any questions and, dummy me, I ask if now, at 20 months, is a good time to start weaning because im not getting enough sleep at night. What does he say?

"You should have weaned him at 5 months! He shouldn't still be breastfeeding, nor co-sleeping. Its going to be very hard for you now."

WHAT!?! Is this what you tell all your other moms who shoot thier kids up with crap, feed them ritalin and microwave tv dinners? STOP breastfeeding!? At 5 months?! He went on to say that I needed to put him down in his own bed at night, in his own room and MAKE HIM STAY THERE. That my child might scream and fight, for a few hours, but he would learn after a week.

Im never going back there. Im so angry that this is the information parents are getting! I cant imagine what else goes on. No wonder American kids are so unhealthy! And shame on him! Hes been practicing for 35 years! He even treated my sons father when he was a kid!

So if any of you have any advice on how to make my 20 month old just a little more independant at night so I can get my sleep, let me know.

Ugh. Thx for letting me vent!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Night weaning can happen anytime after a year if mom is no longer wanting it. It will be a fight if he doenst want to stop but it can be done. You will need to drop one feeding per weeks to prevent clogged ducts and infection though so it will be a longer process depending on how many feedings you decide to drop. But my suggestion is to have dad deal with him when he wants to nurse. 

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM

5 months?! Wow!

SAHM927
by Lesly on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
First of all, that pedi needs to be reported. If he is spreading information like that, and passing that on to women that is completely wrong and discouraging. Now for sleeping, DD is 19 months and wakes up a couple times a night for some comfort sucking. I honestly don't have advice, except for if you plan on night weaning it doesn't necessarily mean he will sleep any better. If you are there when he wakes up he is going to expect to nurse, so let your SO try to get him back to sleep. Part of being a mom is losing out on that much wanted sleep!
catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My recommendation would be to both report and fire the doctor.. "five months" ?! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

kirita323
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM

What a piece of shit! And technically, as soon as you start solids, you've started weaning. I don't have any advice either sadly. My 18 month old sleeps happily next to me and nurses once or twice at night. Sometimes I don't nurse her every time she wakes up though, only if she's sick or something. We tried having her sleep in the other room but she sleeps even worse so I was getting even less sleep. Do you go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning?

louzannalady
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

At five months?! Has this man even read AAP or WHO guidelines?! What an idiot!

melindabelcher
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Dr jay gordon has an article on night weaning.
Sorry for the idiot dr!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM
This. Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Dr jay gordon has an article on night weaning.

Sorry for the idiot dr!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Yep - Dr Gordon's "changing the sleep pattern in the family bed" worked great for us

jenniferlee_12
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Wow kind of sounds like my son's Ped. She was on my case about bfing for awhile and I just ignored her. He finally weaned at night at 24-25 months. I was in so much pain because I am pregnant again and he really was ready to wean. I wore a bra to bed with him and my shirt and held my shirt as he screamed and clawed at me. I cried my eyes out too. He eventually stopped and went to bed, but would still ask for boob for a long time. Just after the first night he didn't scream and claw at me. It is tough, but make up your mind and don't give in. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN