Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Ped said I should stop BF?! Vent...

Posted by   + Show Post
I take my kids to a naturopath and a chiro usually. But they do have a pediatrician under our insurance. I think theyve seen him 4 times? Between the two of them. Anyway, my son burned his arm, I took him to a hospital (cringe) and was told to follow up with a ped. Im tight on money so our insurance covered the hospital and would cover the pediatrician but not the NMD.

My son had his visit today (6 days post burn) and for starters, I was asked if I wanted to give him a tetanus shot for the burn. As if it makes any sense at all, for any reason under the conditions lol especially since ive never vaccinated and he knows that. Then the doc ridiculed me for not giving the rotavirus vaccine after I told him my son caught rotavirus and it lasted TWO days back in april (he hasnt seen my son in a year and wanted to know what happened since last visit. Id say one illness in a year means pretty healthy kid, right?) I pointed out the side effects of the vaccine are rotavirus symptoms and its not 100% effective, meaning he could potentially get the virus TWICE, once post shot and once wild if it failed. This quack still tells me the benifits outweigh the risks lol

So he asked me if I had any questions and, dummy me, I ask if now, at 20 months, is a good time to start weaning because im not getting enough sleep at night. What does he say?

"You should have weaned him at 5 months! He shouldn't still be breastfeeding, nor co-sleeping. Its going to be very hard for you now."

WHAT!?! Is this what you tell all your other moms who shoot thier kids up with crap, feed them ritalin and microwave tv dinners? STOP breastfeeding!? At 5 months?! He went on to say that I needed to put him down in his own bed at night, in his own room and MAKE HIM STAY THERE. That my child might scream and fight, for a few hours, but he would learn after a week.

Im never going back there. Im so angry that this is the information parents are getting! I cant imagine what else goes on. No wonder American kids are so unhealthy! And shame on him! Hes been practicing for 35 years! He even treated my sons father when he was a kid!

So if any of you have any advice on how to make my 20 month old just a little more independant at night so I can get my sleep, let me know.

Ugh. Thx for letting me vent!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kristin0728
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Thanks you guys. Ill try looking up DR Gordon. And we tried having DAD put him to bed last night. The little bugger went to sleep right away without crying because he didnt se me! Lol it was awesome. I got a full 3 hours of sleep before he woke up and came in my bed.

He literally is mouth to tit ALL NIGHT. And when he wants to switch boobs, he kicks and fusses until I turn over with him. He rotates about every 30mins to 1 hour. I think im going to try to have SO put him back to bed after feeding. This might be more tricky.

Thanks again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM

5 months? Even the non-natural parenting friendly AAP recommends a minimum of 12 months.

Mrs.Salz
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I wish my 20 month old would do that!

Quoting Kristin0728:

Thanks you guys. Ill try looking up DR Gordon. And we tried having DAD put him to bed last night. The little bugger went to sleep right away without crying because he didnt se me! Lol it was awesome. I got a full 3 hours of sleep before he woke up and came in my bed.

rachelrothchild
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I would have told him to F*ck off.  Seriously.  Other ladies have posted good info on night weaning.  Adam just did it I guess.

elwood9
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I agree with you about breastfeeding, but please get your son updated on his vaccines.  There has been study after study showing no link between vaccines and autism.  The initial claim of the link was shown to be fraudulent research. 

Aside from the science, there is a resurgence of measles and whooping cough and your son is not protected, not to mention the fact that he would be able to transmit diseases to newborns who can't get the vaccine yet.  These are serious diseases, and vaccines are very effective at stopping them with minimal risk.

Honeybunches26
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM
If you are looking at the risk to society then yes vaccines have minimal risk as most pro vac will tell you... If you look at the individual ingredients and the side effects that are potential to the child recieving them it is possible some mothers would say their child's individual risk isn't worth herd immunity... She has every right to not vac just as you have every right too... The purpose of ops post wasn't to get told what is best for her child... I think its great you made the choice to vac and its great she made the choice not too but neither of you should be telling others what's best for them their families nor society... It's a very personal issue and everyone has their reasons to do it or not just a thought

Quoting elwood9:

I agree with you about breastfeeding, but please get your son updated on his vaccines.  There has been study after study showing no link between vaccines and autism.  The initial claim of the link was shown to be fraudulent research. 

Aside from the science, there is a resurgence of measles and whooping cough and your son is not protected, not to mention the fact that he would be able to transmit diseases to newborns who can't get the vaccine yet.  These are serious diseases, and vaccines are very effective at stopping them with minimal risk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM

omg makes me mad.

hcplaskus
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Woooooooow. I can't stand most doctors..especially pediatricians. And obstetricians.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!

*SNORT*

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Lady, you are so in the wrong group.  There is no study showing no link, just showing that they don't know yet.  Measles and whooping cough are cyclical diseases, and they will go away just as they always have.

And there is absolutely no scientific evidence whatsoever that vaccines are effective at anything other than causing vaccine injury.  Find some other group to spread your propaganda.

Quoting elwood9:

babiesbabybaby development

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)