Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Ped said I should stop BF?! Vent...

Posted by   + Show Post
I take my kids to a naturopath and a chiro usually. But they do have a pediatrician under our insurance. I think theyve seen him 4 times? Between the two of them. Anyway, my son burned his arm, I took him to a hospital (cringe) and was told to follow up with a ped. Im tight on money so our insurance covered the hospital and would cover the pediatrician but not the NMD.

My son had his visit today (6 days post burn) and for starters, I was asked if I wanted to give him a tetanus shot for the burn. As if it makes any sense at all, for any reason under the conditions lol especially since ive never vaccinated and he knows that. Then the doc ridiculed me for not giving the rotavirus vaccine after I told him my son caught rotavirus and it lasted TWO days back in april (he hasnt seen my son in a year and wanted to know what happened since last visit. Id say one illness in a year means pretty healthy kid, right?) I pointed out the side effects of the vaccine are rotavirus symptoms and its not 100% effective, meaning he could potentially get the virus TWICE, once post shot and once wild if it failed. This quack still tells me the benifits outweigh the risks lol

So he asked me if I had any questions and, dummy me, I ask if now, at 20 months, is a good time to start weaning because im not getting enough sleep at night. What does he say?

"You should have weaned him at 5 months! He shouldn't still be breastfeeding, nor co-sleeping. Its going to be very hard for you now."

WHAT!?! Is this what you tell all your other moms who shoot thier kids up with crap, feed them ritalin and microwave tv dinners? STOP breastfeeding!? At 5 months?! He went on to say that I needed to put him down in his own bed at night, in his own room and MAKE HIM STAY THERE. That my child might scream and fight, for a few hours, but he would learn after a week.

Im never going back there. Im so angry that this is the information parents are getting! I cant imagine what else goes on. No wonder American kids are so unhealthy! And shame on him! Hes been practicing for 35 years! He even treated my sons father when he was a kid!

So if any of you have any advice on how to make my 20 month old just a little more independant at night so I can get my sleep, let me know.

Ugh. Thx for letting me vent!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
Jenniy
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:15 PM
He's an idiot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM

You are letting a 20 month old control your life.  What the hell are you going to do when they are older?  Seriously, the kid should not be feeding every 3 hours at night.  By 5 months of age (which is probably what the doctor said, but you chose not to hear) the feedings should be a lot more spaced out.  By 1 year of age a child should not need night feedings.  What you have done by "natural parenting" is raise a child to 20 months that cannot sleep on his own.  You have allowed your child to use your tit as he would a pacifier.

doulala
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Can you nap in the day or get more help so you can night-nurse?

doulala
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting CLEKate:

You are letting a 20 month old control your life.  What the hell are you going to do when they are older?  Seriously, the kid should not be feeding every 3 hours at night.  By 5 months of age (which is probably what the doctor said, but you chose not to hear) the feedings should be a lot more spaced out.  By 1 year of age a child should not need night feedings.  What you have done by "natural parenting" is raise a child to 20 months that cannot sleep on his own.  You have allowed your child to use your tit as he would a pacifier.

"Should" ???      I must have missed out on that Rule Book.   

confused

Parenting as a pacifier IS normal ( = natural) parenting.       That IS okay to do~~    If a parent doesn't want to then it's another story.    

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

doulala
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Some parents are concerned about autism, but generally, I think there are many concerns overall, it's not just that.       Folks that avoid vaccines are generally well-informed and making important choices to favor health & safety.

Quoting elwood9:

please get your son updated on his vaccines.  There has been study after study showing no link between vaccines and autism.  The initial claim of the link was shown to be fraudulent research. 

FebPenguins
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Sidecar him. This is what we did with our two oldest. AND we continue to. DD5 and DS2.  

Daddy gets one child, mommy gets the other.  

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I would of stopped listening after being told 5mnths, but that's just me.  ANYWAY.  As far as night weaning, I would start putting them into a crib for naps and then slowly transition to that for the start of the night.  My ds wasn't night weaned until he was 18months, he did however sleep in his crib for half the night and the other half in our bed. Then he just stopped waking up and that ended it. 

Nee86
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Apparently that doctor is stuck back in the 70's. When I read that he said your ds shoulf have been weaned at 5 months, my plam met my forehead! I wouldn't go back either.
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Please do not bring up the "pro's" of vaccines here.  I have a vaccine injured child and his disabilities were 100% preventable.  My son will have permanent brain damage from a shot.  Also autism is the least of my fears.  I am more afraid of neurological damage, immunocompromisation, and other side effects including SIDS, death, seizures, autoimmune disease, etc.  Also my non-vaxed child is way healthier than her vaccinated peers.  The whole whopping cough epidemic is caused by the vaccine.  That is why up to 90% of all cases are in fully vaxed individuals. Infants are getting WC because their mothers are getting vaxed. 

Quoting elwood9:

I agree with you about breastfeeding, but please get your son updated on his vaccines.  There has been study after study showing no link between vaccines and autism.  The initial claim of the link was shown to be fraudulent research. 

Aside from the science, there is a resurgence of measles and whooping cough and your son is not protected, not to mention the fact that he would be able to transmit diseases to newborns who can't get the vaccine yet.  These are serious diseases, and vaccines are very effective at stopping them with minimal risk.

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Halloween tickers
thalia7758
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Is your pediatrician very old? If he's practicing 35 years I would say yes. If so then it's probably what he was taught and he does not keep up, so he probably thinks he's giving you the best possible advice. Or he's a moron. Probably both. If your insurance allows you can look for another pedi--ask local moms who is natural-friendly. I would be surprised if you could find any doctor who does not recommennd vaccines unless there is a family history of bad reactions to them, but I know of at least one doctor in my area that works with parents who want to do alternative scheduling. 

It's weird that he pushed rotavirus because I was told that's recommended mostly for children in daycare. (My LO is in daycare and got rotavirus. On an unrelated note, he thought it tasted yummy. Which was weird. :) 

Anyway, yeah, that guy is a moron. Find someone else if possible, and don't listen to him. Not that you would anyway. :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN