Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
How do u feel when you see pregnant women drinking caffeine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
meljac
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I cut caffeine completely with my first.  Got home and was ebf, not thinking drank a coke and he was up all night from the caffeine rush. With my other two, I severely limited the caffeine but did not cut it completely and when they were exposed to it in my milk, it did not have as great an effect.  I would not consume a lot during pregnancy and bf but I feel that the little bit of exposure was better than none at all. 

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM
I don't judge either smoking or caffeine drinking moms. Both nicotine and caffeine are drugs, so I see them pretty equally along with other drugs. Both are highly addictive and can be dangerous in excess.

Smoking anything limits the amount of oxygen to the baby, even breathing in smoke around a fall bonfire.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM
No judgement. But I feel a little sad. I really think the effects of caffeine are underplayed and understudied.
But I err on the side of caution- I believe addictive drugs that are unhealthy for me can't possibly be healthy for my fetus, I avoid them all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM
A lot of people do judge because I used to drink decaf lattes and such. I would get such mean stares, I mean even if I were drinking full caff it's still but their problem and you can have under certain amount a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvsHopesDreams
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM

As long as it is in moderation I have no problem with it--less so than if she was smoking.  And drinking is a definite no-no!

Mrs.Salz
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:32 AM

It's not a big deal compared to all the other drugs women take during pregnancy and birth.

rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM

with ds i had a great pregnancy and didnt drink caffine. with dd and this pregnancy i had bad morning sickness (with dd i was in the hospital 9 times before week 20 for dehydration due to morning sickness) and found out pepsie helped so i did have pepsie with these last two pregnancies

croffordsbabys2
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM
It's an interesting thought. Just recently I was watching a documentary about Ina May Gaskin and "the farm". A point they brought up while talking about home birth vs hospital birth was the stressed points of no caffeine, no medicines, no this, that or the other while pregnant; yet as soon as the woman arrived at the hospital (obviously I know it doesn't occur all the time), she's pumped full of all sorts of drugs (I.e. pitocin, epidurals, various other drug options I know nothing about). Pause for thought.
Back to the OP: I personally, couldn't stand the smell of coffee when I was pregnant and rarely drank a soda (studies suggest that carbonation in soda is harmful to a developing fetus), but with my second pregnancy it was hard not to resist a chocolate milkshake now and then. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM
it doesnt bother me....maybe if it was like a monster or something like that it may bother me a bit. but coffee or something like is ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM
I don't judge. I can't have it at all due to a heart condition... and the barista accidently forgot to use decaf for my iced latte about 2 months ago.... ended up in the er. Not fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)