Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Circumcising!!! ...vent - sorry

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't know if there are more friendly ways to do it or mainly just one but I just youtubed circumcising a baby and that was the most disgusting thing I've EVER seen. I would rather eat dog poop than have that done to my child! I don't understand how parents, mothers especially can put their child through such a ridiculous thing. They strapped down the baby and just did it. No numbing medicine, nothing! I really don't understand!

I'm sorry I'm not trying to attack anyone, I really am not - I just don't think I will be getting my son circ'ed. DH is all up in arms PO-ed at me for this but he won't even watch the video. The movie on TV is more important aparently, well my son gets to keep HIS penis, if he'd like he can get rid of it later.

I think I've been scarred for life just watching that video. I've seen a lot of gross horrible things but I really hope that this gets out of my head, I'll never be able to unsee that. :( I want to cry for that poor baby.

Anyone able to help clear my head or cheer me up?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Replies (41-50):
louzannalady
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:11 AM
They don't (usually) do it that way anymore. A majority of the time, they use a numbing agent. (I am not condoning this action, btw. I am just putting accurate info out there.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucaslexie
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM

We had my ds curcumsised.  They numbed him and he sucked a pacy during it.  Then they gave him a smal dose of pain meds.  We never had any trouble from it.  

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM
3 moms liked this
The baby doesn't cry because they go into shock, it has been proven this DOES cause mental trauma in a baby. At least a grown man 1) Can give informed consent to what happens to his body. 2) Will be given proper treatment to manage pain. 3) Will not have an open wound drenched in a wet, nasty diaper.

Quoting MamaJAG:

Welll, DH watched our first son get circ'd.  We still circ'd the other 2.  Perhaps we just had great drs or something, but there was pretty much no crying (they gave them a pacifier through the procedure, and no, it did not interfere with nursing them one little bit).  They don't remember it, either, unlike the men who choose to do it later.  ; )  

A lot of people feel the same way about watching a woman give birth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thalia7758
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM

A lot of doctors will give anesthesia. My husband wanted LO circumcized so I let him make that decision because he felt strongly about it. It makes the newborn sleepy for most of that day but other than that there are usually no long-term complications or pain. There was also no problem with nursing. But it kind of freaked me out, so if you don't want it, just say no. :) There's no medical reason to do it. I think a lot of men who are circumsized want their children to be the same. I don't know why. 

Also, you are brave for watching that video. I would not do that. My hubsand watched the circumcision though, i think. (I could not due to c-section and probably would have freaked out if I had.) I have a weak stomach.

piwife
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:26 PM
I circ my son.. yeah not a good choice but I do have to say my son was not strapped down and the he was given meds to numb. Not all pedi's work the same kwim
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM
My dh was the one who wanted to circ.. he isn't. Me I was like idk I was still like between. My son is 3 yrs old now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LondonsMomma84
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM
5 moms liked this
It's not YOUR choice. It's YOUR BABY's penis. Not yours!!! Let him choose!

It is genital mutilation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJAG
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:46 PM

You may keep your comments to yourself.  I was informing the OP of my experience.  I do not believe for an instant it was from shock.  If you wanted to share your opinions with the OP, you need not quote me.  This was not a debate.  And I don't let my children wear drenched, nasty diapers.  I change them before that happens.  I have reasons for my choice.  

Be intelligent.  Promote what you support, don't bash what you hate.

Quoting louzannalady:

The baby doesn't cry because they go into shock, it has been proven this DOES cause mental trauma in a baby. At least a grown man 1) Can give informed consent to what happens to his body. 2) Will be given proper treatment to manage pain. 3) Will not have an open wound drenched in a wet, nasty diaper.

Quoting MamaJAG:

Welll, DH watched our first son get circ'd.  We still circ'd the other 2.  Perhaps we just had great drs or something, but there was pretty much no crying (they gave them a pacifier through the procedure, and no, it did not interfere with nursing them one little bit).  They don't remember it, either, unlike the men who choose to do it later.  ; )  

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Sorry. Even one second in a wet diaper is waaaayyy too long for someone who has an open wound. I am sorry you were not aware of the fact this causes trauma for a baby. It is not an opinion. It is a medical fact. I am glad you have an opinion, but none of it is supported by fact or medical literatrure. I just was hoping to constant it with good information. I do wish you and your family well.

Quoting MamaJAG:

You may keep your comments to yourself.  I was informing the OP of my experience.  I do not believe for an instant it was from shock.  If you wanted to share your opinions with the OP, you need not quote me.  This was not a debate.  And I don't let my children wear drenched, nasty diapers.  I change them before that happens.  I have reasons for my choice.  

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting MamaJAG:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJAG
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I still disagree with you.  You have your "proof,"  I have mine.  Let's leave it at that. Your condescending attitude is not appreciated.

Quoting louzannalady:

Sorry. Even one second in a wet diaper is waaaayyy too long for someone who has an open wound. I am sorry you were not aware of the fact this causes trauma for a baby. It is not an opinion. It is a medical fact. I am glad you have an opinion, but none of it is supported by fact or medical literatrure. I just was hoping to constant it with good information. I do wish you and your family well.

Quoting MamaJAG:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting MamaJAG:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)