Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Circumcising!!! ...vent - sorry

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't know if there are more friendly ways to do it or mainly just one but I just youtubed circumcising a baby and that was the most disgusting thing I've EVER seen. I would rather eat dog poop than have that done to my child! I don't understand how parents, mothers especially can put their child through such a ridiculous thing. They strapped down the baby and just did it. No numbing medicine, nothing! I really don't understand!

I'm sorry I'm not trying to attack anyone, I really am not - I just don't think I will be getting my son circ'ed. DH is all up in arms PO-ed at me for this but he won't even watch the video. The movie on TV is more important aparently, well my son gets to keep HIS penis, if he'd like he can get rid of it later.

I think I've been scarred for life just watching that video. I've seen a lot of gross horrible things but I really hope that this gets out of my head, I'll never be able to unsee that. :( I want to cry for that poor baby.

Anyone able to help clear my head or cheer me up?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Replies (51-60):
Aslen
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I didnt see a video until after my oldest was home. I couldnt make it the whole way through, but I was so glad I left him whole. My youngest too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM
4 moms liked this
Plus im a firm believer that attatchment parenting starts with leaving the foreskin attatched
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
savyjoel
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM

The video is accurate.  I consented to my son being cut and live to regreat it EVERYDAY.  I wish I could change what I did but I can't.  I try to info others at every opportunity.  I went in to the room when she was about half way into the circ.  He WAS straped to a circumstraint board and given NO pain meds.  She used the plastibell method.  When I went in she had already tore the skin away and clamped the vein and was about to do the dorsal slit.  My son was lying there screaming and red.  It was the worst thing I've ever seen in real life.  I just cried and told her to hurry and I placed my face by his ear and spoke to him while I rubbed his head.  When she was finished I nursed him to calm him down.  He was a different baby from that day on (he was 3wk at his circ).  He went from being a happy, content baby to being "colic".  I'm convnced it was the trauma.  I was shocked at how his penis looked after--I was never told what to expect, I was not told how it was done, and I was not told anything about an intact penis and the benefits of just leaving it alone.  This all happened over 3yr ago and I re-live it daily.  I will never be the same either and I dread the day I sit and talk to my son about this.  He may hate me and I would not blame him.  I'm doing everything in my power to help inform other moms so they know the truth and can do better.

JoyfulMommy1221
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM

After months of research, I did not get our son circd. He is 100% boy XD

When I was pregnant with our first, I was against it because I believe things like that should be a choice. Hubby was not on board then. I let it go. Luckily our first was a girl. We didn't find out the gender with either pregnancy. The 2nd pregnancy the entire time I was like I DONT WANNA CIRC! I DONT WANNA BOY SO I DONT HAVE TO CIRC! And then I did research and showed hubby why...I think it is cruel to circ. I couldn't watch the videos. We were happily surprised when our 2nd came out and he was a boy. And to this day I am thankful I never had to deal with an open wound on a very sensitive area with a newborn infant.I tell my husband almost every day how thankful I am that he let me keep our son whole. And he tells me that he's glad I talked him into it lol.

Show your hubby the research. And don't budge!! Your son will thank you later!

I don't mean to be sounding like I judge others, because I believe that they choose what is right for their family, but it isn't right for ours.

AimeeReneV
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM
My DS isnt circumcised. Hes 5 now and he's never had any infections or problems. I don't de the point in hurting a little baby for no reason.
LuvAZmomma
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:11 PM
So you are basing your decision off of one video that was probably made intentionally to scare people rather than inform. Honestly both of my boys were circumsized and I am not really upset about it now. It was done by their pediatrition not my OB. OBs are maternal drs not baby drs peditritions do several circumsizions everyday they were well trained and typically use at least 1 numbing agent either topical and/or injected. Neither one of my boys seemed to be bothered by the procedure after the fact. They did not act like they were in pain or show any signs or disstress I do not judge people either way for their choice but I guess my thought is that lots of men who are left intact do choose to have the procedure done later in life either because they want to look like other guys, their girl wants it done, or because they develope an infection from poor hygiene. It is a much less traumatic experience (IMO) when they are an infant and have no memory of it that at 18+ years old. I have never known a man that was not circumsized and that is also part of the reason I had it done. Most people go by he should look like his dad so if dad is then baby is. If dad isn't then baby isn't. Do what is right for your family but don't base your opinion on one video.
LuvAZmomma
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM
The "wound" is covered in more than enough cream to keep any thing out. I agree stop bashin other people's choices.
Quoting louzannalady:

mamelmel3
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Thank you on behalf of your son, you will not regret protecting him and keeping him intact! I have 2 boys ages 6 & 3 and both of them are intact as well. I just cannot understand why anyone would justify putting their precious newborn through such a terrible ordeal. Sorry I have no words to say to get the images of the video out of your mind, it will forever be with you. You should definitely join a group for ending Routine Infant Circumcisions. There are several on Facebook.
mamelmel3
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Quoting LuvAZmomma:

So you are basing your decision off of one video that was probably made intentionally to scare people rather than inform. Honestly both of my boys were circumsized and I am not really upset about it now. It was done by their pediatrition not my OB. OBs are maternal drs not baby drs peditritions do several circumsizions everyday they were well trained and typically use at least 1 numbing agent either topical and/or injected. Neither one of my boys seemed to be bothered by the procedure after the fact. They did not act like they were in pain or show any signs or disstress I do not judge people either way for their choice but I guess my thought is that lots of men who are left intact do choose to have the procedure done later in life either because they want to look like other guys, their girl wants it done, or because they develope an infection from poor hygiene. It is a much less traumatic experience (IMO) when they are an infant and have no memory of it that at 18+ years old. I have never known a man that was not circumsized and that is also part of the reason I had it done. Most people go by he should look like his dad so if dad is then baby is. If dad isn't then baby isn't. Do what is right for your family but don't base your opinion on one video.

I'm not bashing you for your decision to have your boys circumcised even though I disagree with it, but you should really do your research before spouting off some uninformed crap and reasons why people choose to have it done and that babies are less traumatized by the procedure. How would you know? You didn't have a piece of your body ripped apart!
mamelmel3
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for speaking up to help prevent this from happening to more baby boys!

Quoting savyjoel:

The video is accurate.  I consented to my son being cut and live to regreat it EVERYDAY.  I wish I could change what I did but I can't.  I try to info others at every opportunity.  I went in to the room when she was about half way into the circ.  He WAS straped to a circumstraint board and given NO pain meds.  She used the plastibell method.  When I went in she had already tore the skin away and clamped the vein and was about to do the dorsal slit.  My son was lying there screaming and red.  It was the worst thing I've ever seen in real life.  I just cried and told her to hurry and I placed my face by his ear and spoke to him while I rubbed his head.  When she was finished I nursed him to calm him down.  He was a different baby from that day on (he was 3wk at his circ).  He went from being a happy, content baby to being "colic".  I'm convnced it was the trauma.  I was shocked at how his penis looked after--I was never told what to expect, I was not told how it was done, and I was not told anything about an intact penis and the benefits of just leaving it alone.  This all happened over 3yr ago and I re-live it daily.  I will never be the same either and I dread the day I sit and talk to my son about this.  He may hate me and I would not blame him.  I'm doing everything in my power to help inform other moms so they know the truth and can do better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)