Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Help! Exclusively pumping, tried to breastfeed... and.. what happened?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,
stressed out here. So my daughter was born 5 weeks ago and we had problems latching, and I ended up exclusively pumping and bottle feeding after 8 days because she just wasnt eating enough when she finally would latch on, often improperly.

Anyways. Pumping has been going okay. After a couple weeks, I went from pumping every two hours to 3... and than sometimes 4 or 5 hours... and my supply went from getting 2 1/2 to 3 from each breast, for 1 1/2 each breast. (and I dont pump at night... which I need to do) So I've been trying to get my supply back up by pumping every two hours and once or twice a night.
(by the way, my daughter takes about 2 1/2 to 3 oz per feeding)

THE PROBLEM. Tonight, I tried to breastfeed her, and she fed off one boob for a decent amount of time. And woudlnt take the other breast. So then I go to pump afterward and got practically NOTHING. I thought okay, I can see she may have emptied one breast, but didnt touch the other breast, yet I got almost NOTHING from either. ... than two hours later, I try to breastfeed her again, she eats off one boob okay on and off for ten minutes, wouldnt touch the other, I go to pump and NOTHING comes out either breas?! Just a few little sprays! I'm scared cause I'm on my last bottle that I had in the fridge for her. I have used all my freezer and fridge supply over the last two weeks....

I did NOT think that trying to breastfeed her would SOMEHOW? do this to my supply when I try to pump. She didn't even empty the one breast either times. I thought if anything breastfeeding her would help because it would release oxytocin. I even tried to hand express which didnt go well. What is going on? How is this possible?

I'm not going to try to breastfeed her next time and just pump. She has never been able to get full off just bf'ing and I've had to give her a bottle afterward each time tonight.

Help... I don't want to have to go get formula for the night. I want my milk back! I just want to give her my milk.... I thought WOW she's not doing too bad latching and it should help my supply and it seemed to have done the opposite?

CafeMom Tickers

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sammyjo_ras:

Hi,
stressed out here. So my daughter was born 5 weeks ago and we had problems latching, and I ended up exclusively pumping and bottle feeding after 8 days because she just wasnt eating enough when she finally would latch on, often improperly.

Anyways. Pumping has been going okay. After a couple weeks, I went from pumping every two hours to 3... and than sometimes 4 or 5 hours... and my supply went from getting 2 1/2 to 3 from each breast, for 1 1/2 each breast. yeah EPing takes every 2-3 hours round teh clock for about 3 months THEN you can back of at night then around 6 months you can back of a bit daytime too(and I dont pump at night... which I need to do) So I've been trying to get my supply back up by pumping every two hours and once or twice a night.
(by the way, my daughter takes about 2 1/2 to 3 oz per feeding)how often is she eatting?

THE PROBLEM. Tonight, I tried to breastfeed her, and she fed off one boob for a decent amount of time. And woudlnt take the other breast. So then I go to pump afterward and got practically NOTHINGnormal, your body likes responding to the baby. I thought okay, I can see she may have emptied one breast, but didnt touch the other breast, yet I got almost NOTHING from either.again response to the baby is better and body doesnt like the pump ... than two hours later, I try to breastfeed her again, she eats off one boob okay on and off for ten minutes, wouldnt touch the other, I go to pump and NOTHING comes out either breas?! Just a few little sprays! I'm scared cause I'm on my last bottle that I had in the fridge for her. I have used all my freezer and fridge supply over the last two weeks.... you HAVE to pump more or nurse more plain and simple

I did NOT think that trying to breastfeed her would SOMEHOW? do this to my supply when I try to pump. She didn't even empty the one breast either times. I thought if anything breastfeeding her would help because it would release oxytocin. I even tried to hand express which didnt go well. What is going on? How is this possible?your body is responding to baby better and not the pump PLUS supply may be down because of lack of pumping

I'm not going to try to breastfeed her next time and just pump.WHY?? She has never been able to get full off just bf'ing and I've had to give her a bottle afterward each time tonight.FULL?? Forget full! thats the issue...how much are you giving her AFTER nursing, if baby will nurse thenyou nurse, sure it may be more often than the pumping and may seem like nursing forever but baby is always getting milk, pump wont always get milk

Help... I don't want to have to go get formula for the night. then nurseI want my milk back! I just want to give her my milk....then nurse I thought WOW she's not doing too bad latching and it should help my supply and it seemed to have done the opposite?no nursing did not hurt supply but nursing and giving a bottle after meant she wasnt taking full feeds so that hurts supply AND body gets used to nursing and doesnt want to respond to artificial baby anymore(pump)

MY advice, try 24 hours with no bottles, pump if you want but NOT bottles..watch diapers, if you get 6 diapers total in those 24 hours then baby is getting plenty of milk

laurade024
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:03 PM
This...
I pumped for the first week as well because i have flat nipples and she couldn't get it. I was determined to ebf so I just ditched everything and said ok we can do this. I learned how to make my nipples stick out a lil and within a day she had it down pat. And she is a pro.
Get rid of the pump and bottles. Ur body will make enough. Mine made way too much I had to express it myself during let down bc dd would choke on it. Took about 12 weeks and now it regulates with her during her growth spurts and all. Ur body is smart!! Ur body needs to know how much to make. So not pumping as much will make Ur body think its making enough bc that's all Ur demanding. So let lo latch and eat whenever

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Why would you start pumping less frequently? You're telling your body you need less milk when you do that so of course your supply will dwindle. Kick the bottle. giving the baby a bottle creates over feeding because they don't learn when they are full. Feed fro the breast and if still fussy keep latching on. Even if there isn't milk it will stimulate you to make more milk.

If she's fussy and won't go on the breast then she probably wants something else. Figure out how she wants to go to sleep and other things. You need to be nursing every 2 hours if you want a good supply. And supplementing will just make things worse. So stick to nursing. pumping just isn't effecient its better to kick it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin0728
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM
I agree with the other ladies. Stop pumping. Your supply will be better with feeding any way.

As for not wanting the other boob, does one seem to produce more milk than the other? This is normal. Does she have a preference to one side? Also normal. My right produces twice as much as my left and my son takes preference to the right. I had to start him out on the left, to keep my milk production up on that side because after having the right, he wouldnt touch the left. You have to start on different sides all the time to keep them even.

Also, if youre having trouble producing milk... This can be controversial, but its an old irish trick. Ive done it, know several others who have done it. Drink a very dark beer. I think Guinness works best. Youre breasts will be full in the morning.

Other than that, just stick with the feeding. Trust that shes getting enough. Your body will start to produce what shes demanding. Bottle feeding, pumping and especially formula will only make things more difficult for you. TRUST NATURES DESIGN.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Hun if you are going to pump exclusively you are going to have to pump every 2 hrs day and night... I did it for a whole year. When the baby is a lil older you can go to 3 hrs. But for the first 4 mts every 2 hrs. Maybe every 3 at night. If you want to go back to breast then put baby to the breast as much as you can slowly wean off the bottle and watch diapers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Totally agree. Why would you think she's not getting enough from your breast? She gets more from the breast than your pump does.

I would get her looked at for tongue and lip tie if you had that much trouble with latching.

Ditch the pumping, ditch the bottles, and just nurse on demand all day long. Just because you can't measure what she's getting from nursing doesn't mean it's not enough. You are trapped in the numbers game with bottles and ounces. The only number you need to know is diaper count. You cannot rely on your babys behavior to tell you how much they're getting. Babies are fussy creatures. They act like that when they are full! So just nurse. She might scream and cry. That's OK. Just do it or you will be strictly formula feeding.

Quoting larissalarie:

It's normal not to be able to pump anything right after you breastfeed.

If your baby is latching, drop the pumping and bottles and just nurse. You'll know baby is getting enough by how many diapers she has a day (at least 6). If she acts mad, nurses constantly, etc it doesn't mean she's not getting enough and it's great for your supply!

I think if it's important to you to not wind up formula feeding, it's extremely important that you get baby breastfeeding directly. Exclusive pumping is incredibly difficult to maintain for very long if you're doing everything "right" and pumping every 2 hours during the day and every 3 overnight,and at only 5 weeks you are already not pumping at night and going way too long between during the day. Your supply just isn't going to last much longer at all that way. Get baby breastfeeding directly (which she's proven she's capable of now) and you'll never need to pump and your supply will last as long as baby keeps demanding it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Yup!!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting sammyjo_ras:

Hi,

Anyways. Pumping has been going okay. After a couple weeks, I went from pumping every two hours to 3... and than sometimes 4 or 5 hours... and my supply went from getting 2 1/2 to 3 from each breast, for 1 1/2 each breast. yeah EPing takes every 2-3 hours round teh clock for about 3 months THEN you can back of at night then around 6 months you can back of a bit daytime too(and I dont pump at night... which I need to do) So I've been trying to get my supply back up by pumping every two hours and once or twice a night.
(by the way, my daughter takes about 2 1/2 to 3 oz per feeding)how often is she eatting?

THE PROBLEM. Tonight, I tried to breastfeed her, and she fed off one boob for a decent amount of time. And woudlnt take the other breast. So then I go to pump afterward and got practically NOTHINGnormal, your body likes responding to the baby. I thought okay, I can see she may have emptied one breast, but didnt touch the other breast, yet I got almost NOTHING from either.again response to the baby is better and body doesnt like the pump ... than two hours later, I try to breastfeed her again, she eats off one boob okay on and off for ten minutes, wouldnt touch the other, I go to pump and NOTHING comes out either breas?! Just a few little sprays! I'm scared cause I'm on my last bottle that I had in the fridge for her. I have used all my freezer and fridge supply over the last two weeks.... you HAVE to pump more or nurse more plain and simple

I did NOT think that trying to breastfeed her would SOMEHOW? do this to my supply when I try to pump. She didn't even empty the one breast either times. I thought if anything breastfeeding her would help because it would release oxytocin. I even tried to hand express which didnt go well. What is going on? How is this possible?your body is responding to baby better and not the pump PLUS supply may be down because of lack of pumping

I'm not going to try to breastfeed her next time and just pump.WHY?? She has never been able to get full off just bf'ing and I've had to give her a bottle afterward each time tonight.FULL?? Forget full! thats the issue...how much are you giving her AFTER nursing, if baby will nurse thenyou nurse, sure it may be more often than the pumping and may seem like nursing forever but baby is always getting milk, pump wont always get milk

Help... I don't want to have to go get formula for the night. then nurseI want my milk back! I just want to give her my milk....then nurse I thought WOW she's not doing too bad latching and it should help my supply and it seemed to have done the opposite?no nursing did not hurt supply but nursing and giving a bottle after meant she wasnt taking full feeds so that hurts supply AND body gets used to nursing and doesnt want to respond to artificial baby anymore(pump)

MY advice, try 24 hours with no bottles, pump if you want but NOT bottles..watch diapers, if you get 6 diapers total in those 24 hours then baby is getting plenty of milk

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Can I add one teeny thing? Get some skin to skin going! This will help make milk and possibly encourage babe to wanna latch. I agree ditch the bottles and keep her as close to breast as you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Yeah totally forgot that! SO important! For milk production and encouraging baby to nurse

Quoting jmaw89:

Can I add one teeny thing? Get some skin to skin going! This will help make milk and possibly encourage babe to wanna latch. I agree ditch the bottles and keep her as close to breast as you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammyjo_ras
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Thank you guys for the advise. I have also talked to a lactation consultant. She told me I should def not be just pumping till I don't see any milk coming out, but to pump for 20 min to encourage more milk production.

My daughter had and is still having latching problems. She has a small mouth, and doesn't like to open it wide enough. Sometimes I can get her to open wider by pulling her chin down a little bit.

The lactation consultant advised I nurse her-- which I do every 2-3 hours, and after we nurse, I pump for twenty min. I'd rather have more milk than not enough.

I originally wanted her to be breastfed and bottle fed bm. At least I have decided to try to get back to nursing her, now that she's a little bigger. And she is taking to it better than I would have expected after 3 1/2 weeks with bottles. I tried here and there to offer her the breast, with a nipple shield and without one. But now she seems to be more interested.

I think why we have and still do have problems nursing and latching is because she doesn't seem especially interested in it for some reason. If that makes any sense? We'll try so hard to get her latched on and when we finally do, she just takes a few suckles and than stops for like ten seconds, and it takes quite a while of me stimulating her to try and keep at it, than takes like 3-7 sucks and another longgg pause. Its me constantly trying to stimulate her.

I have large breasts and she has a little mouth. Its hard for her to get a decent amount of my areola in her mouth. But we're trying. And I don't mind giving her bottles. She seems to be taking to both fine. We're just still working on latching.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM
She's not interested in nursing because she's getting bottles. Bottles deliver the milk right away. Who wouldn't like that better? Lol

Go on Youtube and look up Jconney or Jconney80. I forget which it is. I have a video with the latch I was taught when I was having trouble with latch problems. I also have huge nipples/ areolas and this helped. I would still get checked for lip and tongue tie. That could be part of your latch problems

Quoting sammyjo_ras:

Thank you guys for the advise. I have also talked to a lactation consultant. She told me I should def not be just pumping till I don't see any milk coming out, but to pump for 20 min to encourage more milk production.

My daughter had and is still having latching problems. She has a small mouth, and doesn't like to open it wide enough. Sometimes I can get her to open wider by pulling her chin down a little bit.

The lactation consultant advised I nurse her-- which I do every 2-3 hours, and after we nurse, I pump for twenty min. I'd rather have more milk than not enough.

I originally wanted her to be breastfed and bottle fed bm. At least I have decided to try to get back to nursing her, now that she's a little bigger. And she is taking to it better than I would have expected after 3 1/2 weeks with bottles. I tried here and there to offer her the breast, with a nipple shield and without one. But now she seems to be more interested.

I think why we have and still do have problems nursing and latching is because she doesn't seem especially interested in it for some reason. If that makes any sense? We'll try so hard to get her latched on and when we finally do, she just takes a few suckles and than stops for like ten seconds, and it takes quite a while of me stimulating her to try and keep at it, than takes like 3-7 sucks and another longgg pause. Its me constantly trying to stimulate her.

I have large breasts and she has a little mouth. Its hard for her to get a decent amount of my areola in her mouth. But we're trying. And I don't mind giving her bottles. She seems to be taking to both fine. We're just still working on latching.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)