Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

single mom help (piog)

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
A good friend of mine recently found out she is pregnant. She has always struggled with self esteem issues and gets taken advantage of a lot, and so she doesn't know who the father is. She has a job in Wisconsin but lives with her dad, who doesn't want a baby in the house and she isn't sure she can afford her own place and a new baby. Her mom offered her a place to live, but her mom lives in New Mexico. My friend has a job with insurance in Wisconsin and is concerned that moving would leave her unemployed and uninsured.

So, does anyone know about public assistance in either Wisconsin or New Mexico? She is looking into what she might qualify for in either place, but if anyone has any leads or ideas that would be really helpful. Is there a subsidized insurance plan in New Mexico for low income people, and if so do they penalize you if you're already pregnany when you enroll? Any programs in either state that help single moms with child care, post partum support, breastfeeding... or anything else that would come in handy for a low income single mom?

Also, for this group specifically; she is totally clueless about breastfeeding vs. formula, natural birth, and natural minded parenting. She is open to learning about it, but won't spend a lot of time doing research or reading long articles that I might pass on (she has learning disorder and is not very good with reading). So any info that you know of that keeps things short and simple and compares all the options would be really helpful. And natural birthing pain management techniques, she wants to try for an unmedicated birth but is really, really bad with pain.

Thanks in advance everyone!
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
orangeshirt
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Check the unemployment rates in each state. Does she have a job that gives her bankable skills? Has she checked the papers in NM for job leads? Can her mom help her out financially, even by letting her live rent-free until she finds a job? Does her mom have health insurance to which she can be added?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm pretty sure every state has Medicaid for pregnant women if they qualify or don't have insurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this

No clue about welfare, sorry.

Great resources for info on mothering / baby stuff....
Dr Sears The Baby Book and LLLI The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in WI and there is Medicaid available for pregnant women.  Tell your friend she doesn't have to wash as many dishes if she breastfeeds, everything is all ready for you.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM

This

Quoting jconney80:

I'm pretty sure every state has Medicaid for pregnant women if they qualify or don't have insurance.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Also tell her to go to a local LLL to learn about bfing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)