Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What form of Birth Control worked best for you while breast feeding?

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM
  • 10 Replies
I used the praguard IUD while breast feeding cause I was abit nervous about how the mini pill would affect my milk supply. What form of birth control did you use and for how long were you able to breastfeed. Did your birth control affect your milk supply? Next time around I may consider the Rhythm/Calender method.
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlelambe2
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM
I did ecological breastfeeding (more strict than the LAM method). We wanted another child, though, so the natural spacing worked well for us. I had my first pp period at 14 months, but it was anovulatory. I ovulated for the first time at 18 months pp and conceived on that cycle. The kids will be 27 months apart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Lets see, I think I've done just about everything that doesn't involved hormones. lol. 

I tracked my cycle, condoms, conctraceptive film and being sick/abstinence (lol)

bbmkfo03
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM

My DH hates condoms & I don't want to go back on the pill. I'm thinking of tracking my cycles, although I hated doing it while TTC!

MamaJAG
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I have used the mini pill with no ill effects on the nursing.  I have the paraguard now.  

larissalarie
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM
While breastfeeding my oldest I used the mini pill (HATED it), while breastfeeding my second I used Mirena (loved it), and after the birth of my 3rd I got Mirena again, but later switched to Paragard (it's ok).
Oldest breastfeed for a year, younger two way longer than that. Never any supply issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Explain?

Quoting littlelambe2:

I did ecological breastfeeding (more strict than the LAM method). We wanted another child, though, so the natural spacing worked well for us. I had my first pp period at 14 months, but it was anovulatory. I ovulated for the first time at 18 months pp and conceived on that cycle. The kids will be 27 months apart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Here's a link that fully explains it (sorry, can't make it clicky I'm mobile): http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/view/1421/43/

Basically nurse frequently, on demand, with spacing no greater than 5 hrs. No pumps, bottles, or pacifiers. Exclusively bf for at least 6 months. Comfort nurse. Sleep with baby. Avoid separation from baby.

Quoting peaches_04:

Explain?

Quoting littlelambe2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:01 AM

We used condoms while I was breastfeeding.  We don't have sex often and we started TTC at 8 months post partum so it didn't make sense to get an IUD.  I could never remember to take a pill daily and you have to be super diligent with the mini pill which is why I didn't do that one.  The condoms didn't effect my milk supply :)

LondonsMomma84
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:10 AM
NFP/charting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I used LAM and then went to nfp

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)