Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
hey. we have been dealing with cavities for my kids. I dont know what the deal is. we brush teeth we don have candy in our house....juice is a very rare thing too! I remember going to the dentist and them just cleaning and showing me how to brush. Never did we deal with cavities. Now my 6 yr old is going in for his 3rd cavitiy and my 4 yr old for his third....actually one of his teeth had to be pulled! Also they use the nitrous (sp?) gas because my kids freak out. My friend has a theory that its a money scam. I like our dentist.....he is nice and was refered my our dentist who I trust. But do u think maybe the are trained differently....maybe now they decide to work on baby teeth and before they did not? What r ur opinions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Replies (11-14):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:57 PM
someone in this group that did eo rinses. I think I want to try that. I do not drink out tap and I buy water that does not have flouride.

Quoting swmmra:

Probably going to get bashed for this, but do you live in an area that floridates their water. I grew up in an area that does, and then moved to another area as an adult and see many more kids in this area with caps and rotten teeth. I have to wonder if that makes a difference as well. 

After eating, rinse your mouth with water. That helps to get food particals off teeth. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM

oh. if it was bothering your son, obviously it needed attention. I don't know of other causes of cavities besides sugar bugs getting in and staying in the mouth. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Quoting Precious333:

Te reason we went back was because my son was in pain. That tooth ended up being pulled....so I know there was a problem with that...but with all this other stuff I dont know. I asked about natural ways of healing and trying that and he was open to waiting 6 months on some cavities but not all.

Quoting littlelambe2:

We recently changed dentists and took dd for the first time. She did great. With my husband, though, they said this teeth looked great (last c/u was a year ago). Our past dentist was saying that dh needed scaling and planing 3 times a year (our insurance only covered twice) and refused to do just a regular cleaning when we told them that we would only do it twice, as our insurance only covered it twice. And now this dentist didn't even mention periodontal disease?? Our new dentist noticed a small crack in dh's tooth, asked him if it was bugging him, and then said that normally they won't do any work unless it was a problem. And seeing as dh didn't notice it at all (wasn't sensitive to sugar, hot, cold, etc, didn't have aches) that it would be better to leave it for now. Our old dentist was also trying to tell me that I needed all four of my wisdom teeth out. Right now. Even though they weren't causing any problems, they were healthy, I could brush behind them, and they weren't crowding my other teeth.

I definitely think some dentists are at it for the money. Do the teeth with cavities bug your kids?? If the cavities are bad, the kids will be complaining. It is possible that your dentist just likes to do work and likes the money aspect of it. Any chance of a second opinion?

Mrs.Salz
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Have you looked into homemade toothpaste options? Even a lot of "natural" fluoride-free toothpastes have glycerin or other ingredients that are bad for teeth and can contribute to cavities.

I think Weston Price did some research on alternatives to denistry and gaining healthy teeth through diet.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Maybe try the WAP diet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)