Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4mo old baby with nasty cough..what do I do??

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:54 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is 4mo old now and overall is a very healthy baby.  He breastfed 90% of the time, and an extreamly happy baby.

He came down with a small cough about 2 weeks ago now that has progessivly gotten worse. I finally took him to the Dr simply because they told me over the phone that they wont treat with out seeing him first. So we went in and they told me exactly what I thought.

"Its upper respitory infectiong, and it just needs to run its course"  oh and there is a possibitly of asthma but they wont diagnosis that untill he is older, because there is no treatment at his age unless it is severe. ----this is all coming from the Dr.

My son is now not able to sleep on his back its so bad and he wakes himself up coughing and can't seem to catch his breath untill  he clears his chest. It sounds so bad. He hasn't had a runny nose, but I have used the nasal aspirator and got a ton of snot out. and also used  saline spray. He started to run a low grade temp tonight at 100.1 and I gave him tylonal.

I feel so bad, and helpless. What can I do to help him??!! Is there anything I can give him that is natural?? Help!

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM
He is way too young for eucalyptus oil, but you can make a strong euc tea and drink it yourself and let him near it so he breathes in some of the steam.
Keep breast feeding and baby wearing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Yeah my 5 mth old is sick too. But well my other 2 kids have asthma so there is a high chance she will too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM
I would take him in a hot steamy bathroom. There isn't much you can do at that age!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:20 AM
Can you lay him on his side to sleep instead of on his back? It may help him breathe easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM

DO you co sleep? try letting him sleep on his side instead of back. If he sleeps in a crib maybe try letting him sleep in the swing or car seat so he is sitting up a little he might be able to breath easier, also take him into the bath room and run the shower hot so he can just be in a steamy room. Continue to nurse,nurse, nurse! Hope he feels better soon its so hard when they are so little.:(

ameraznkimko
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM
You can use essential oils on babies to help with respiratory infections..and any other issues...I can send you more info if you would like...I use them in my kids and myself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Nurse, nurse, nurse!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)