Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

lacto-fermenting mamas please get in here!!!

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

okay so i am on a fermentation kick and need some help.  i made a batch of sour kraut and so far it is looking pretty good, but i had a harshe (sp?) crock so it is water sealed and i am not worried about it.  plus the cabbage came from the garden so it cost me nothing to make it.

then i got it up my butt to make a batch of kimchi.  got it all cut, mixed and put it into a food grade bucket that my husband had used for wine making at one time.  i didnt have a cover, so i used qaurt sized ziplocks filled with salt water and a small heavy stoneware cover to a crock to keep everything pressed down beneath the brine.  then i put a towel over the top of the bucket with a bungee cord to keep it in place.  i figure at least that way dust or bugs or whatever couldnt get into the bucket.

i am starting to get nervous....my kitchen now smells sort of....rotten?  hmmm thats not quite the right word.  its not a rancid smell, its just a REALLY cabbagyyy smell....cabbage and fish smell?  its hard to describe.  is that normal?  i will just die if i ended up screwing this up...i have probably 40 bucks just in ingredients in that bucket :(

by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
battisarah
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM
I am no expert on fermentation and prevserving. I have canned a bit for the past few summers but zero experience in fermentation. In school (I went to Le Ecole Culinare) the barely brushed the surface on these things. What I can tell you I remember is these two things are very particular. I think they need darkness, and a non-fluctuating 60° temp in a non himid environment. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM

well its not getting any light so that is good, and we burn wood so that takes care of the humidity.  the temp is a little harder since it gets cold at night when the fire goes out....maybe around 50 degrees.  from what i have read it might just take a little longer if its a bit colder.

i checked it today and there wasnt any mold growth so i take that as a good sign!

Quoting battisarah:

I am no expert on fermentation and prevserving. I have canned a bit for the past few summers but zero experience in fermentation. In school (I went to Le Ecole Culinare) the barely brushed the surface on these things. What I can tell you I remember is these two things are very particular. I think they need darkness, and a non-fluctuating 60° temp in a non himid environment. Good luck!

battisarah
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Thats a great sign! I think I remember my Garde Manger instructor saying sauerkraut will turn black on top and you will have to scrape that layer off. You can buy testing strips somewhere to make sure everything is where you want it to be.

Quoting tansyflower:

well its not getting any light so that is good, and we burn wood so that takes care of the humidity.  the temp is a little harder since it gets cold at night when the fire goes out....maybe around 50 degrees.  from what i have read it might just take a little longer if its a bit colder.

i checked it today and there wasnt any mold growth so i take that as a good sign!

Quoting battisarah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I'm still stuck on the title ;)

tansyflower
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM

get your mind out of the crunchy gutter HA!

Quoting VintageWife:

I'm still stuck on the title ;)

Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Let me know what you figure out.  I'll be starting to learn this process soon, as DS and I are going to go on the GAPS diet.

Lydlou02
by Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I once heard from an old soldier that making kimchi smells awful. Like insanely gross. But tastes awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Oct. 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a great article on fermentation in this months issue of Urban Farm. I'll see what it says after I put LO to bed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Here's what I copied from Urban Farm magazine.
illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Hopefully you can read this. It's all about sauerkraut.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)