Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What would you do?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM
  • 14 Replies
Yesterday, I came out of a local gas station to see a young child (my guess is under 3) alone in a car, engine running, parked next to my car. Granted it wasn't a hot day and the car was parked in the shade, but still I felt the need to stay there til the mom (or dad) came back just to be sure the kid (baby) was safe. I sat there for a good 3 minutes before someone came back to the car. It wasn't a single parent it was both! Mom comes out with a soda and maybe candy and dad comes out with what looked like beer! SERIOUSLY???!!!!???? Nobody could've just stayed in the car til the other came back? Anyway, I was so disgusted I knew I couldn't keep an even tone in my voice if started to say something to them-AND not being the confrontational type- I drove away.
So my question is: Would you have stayed til the parent(s) came back? Would you have said something to them? Or would you not have even gotten involved?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy85412
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM
I think I would have stayed and waited too then left when they came out but would have been really tempted to just call 911 when I saw the kid alone in a running car. Some people smh! I have left my kids with car off locked for a minute too but car running and then one person could have stayed with the kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Yes. I don't know that I would've said anything. I would've been more likely to call the cops. That being said. I have sat in the car with my son many times while my husband ran in somewhere. I guess becuase I windows are tented people couldn't see me. This has happened twice. They had the person in the store page who was driving the car once and second time my husband was at the register and the next customer asked if it was his car. Neither day was particularly hot but if they thought my son alone I think they should've stayed opposed to looking for the person who's child it was. Or had they looked hard enough they would've seen me in the seat right next to him.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I would have called the POLICE ASAP! Sorry if there are no parents anywhere near the car its a serious danger to the child, I mean what if someone would have stollen the car with the child in it, or the child got out of their car seat and into the drivers seat. All the things that could have happened. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I don't get involved in situations like that.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM
I'm not sure what I would do in that situation but that's pretty sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Id have called the cops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I don't get involved in situations like that.

I don't either unless there is a clear and present danger, mostly because the police won't do anything, the parents won't change their ways and frankly it's not my business. If it was extremely hot, cold or the child was filthy etc I might call but if it was a cool shaded area I wouldn't bother. Also, when I was traveling through Europe a couple years ago I remember being shocked at a baby in a stroller outside a store alone. It was commonplace in some countries and cultures.
littlelambe2
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM
This. Where I live, leaving a child under 12 in a running car by himself is considered criminal negligence. And the police will do something about it.

Quoting EslingerCrew11:

Id have called the cops.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LondonsMomma84
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 4:02 AM

I would have called the cops.  That is UNACCEPTABLE.

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Oct. 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I would have called the police. Then I would have waited. Parents need to know it's not okay to leave young children unattended in a vehicle. Especially when the engine is running.

I make it my business and civic duty to report.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)