Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

cheap cloth diapers?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM
  • 30 Replies

my youngest daughter used cloth diapers for the 1st year of her life. (i only switched to sposies when i got pregnant and my morning sickness couldn't handle rinsing out poop diapers!)  i use the flip system -- covers & inserts.  there are alot of things i really love about cloth diapering, but there are a lot of things i hate about it as well.  my main complaint is laundering.  everything i have read has warned against using regular detergent & only using dye free/perfume free detergent.  in order to keep the diapers from smelling like ammonia, i had to wash the diapers 3 times.  since then, i've met several people who just launder like normal.  i think i'm going to try that, but i'm afraid that it will deteriorate the diapers faster.  then i thought about buying the cheap, cotton diapers from wal-mart or target.  they are only $10 for a pack of 10!! I figured I could just fold them to fit the flip covers.  has anyone ever used them? if so, are they absorbant?  

by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RochelleFS
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

You can definitely use prefold as an insert in cloth diapers. I prefer it since they unfold and are easy to wash and absorbant. Although, I have not heard good things about the gerber brand. They are mostly good for burp cloths. Check out cotton babies online, they have great prefolds pretty cheap.

almondpigeon
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:42 PM

ok, thanks!  gerber brand was exactly the one i was looking at!  cotton babies is where i buy the flip diapers -- i don't know why i've never thought to look at anything other than the inserts!   

Quoting RochelleFS:

You can definitely use prefold as an insert in cloth diapers. I prefer it since they unfold and are easy to wash and absorbant. Although, I have not heard good things about the gerber brand. They are mostly good for burp cloths. Check out cotton babies online, they have great prefolds pretty cheap.

lundaylove
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

gerber brand suck. they are only good as burp cloths lol. i get my prefolds second hand (practically new though) and they are the green mountain brand ones. they are pretty cheap and the most absorbant ive found.

littlemonaghan
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

the walmart/target/ gerber diapers are no good. 

You can use regular detergent. I use Tide Original Powder and my diapers are in perfect condition, with no stink. About every 3 months or so, I need to strip them, which is much better than twice a month when I was using "natural" detergents.

I use cottonbabies prefolds, flip covers and bum genius 4.0s.

I am expanding my 4.0 stash so I can solely use pockets. I use the prefolds when she needs a diaper cream, and guess what, I don't even use a liner.

I use triple paste diaper cream when she is in a prefold if she needs it. I have yet to have a problem with it washing off or ruining the prefold. If it does, I can always boil it. (which is also how I strip all my diapers. 10 minutes for prefolds/MF inserts, and 3-5 minutes for pocket shells, we have no problems).

I don't use the triple paste on the pockets though, i'm leary about the suede cloth and the cream. 

But yeah, we use Tide Orginal powder and depending on how big or how dirty the load is, I use anywhere from 1/2 of line 1, to 3/4 of line one. I haven't filled it all the way up to line 1 yet, I don't think I need that much detergent because its a small load.

We run a quick rinse with no spin to soak the diapers. Then I run the heavy duty cycle with a prewash )no detergent), main wash detergent, extra rinse w/ vinegar. Then I run the normal cycle with no detergents or vinegar.

In total it akes about 2 1/2 hours for the whole cycle to complete, but I only have ti mess with the machine twice, so I really don't mind. 

thundersky
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
You can find prefolds at green mountain diapers for a good price.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM

your laundry routine is as time consuming as mine was! how often do you wash?  i was doing it every other day. 

Quoting littlemonaghan:

You can use regular detergent. I use Tide Original Powder and my diapers are in perfect condition, with no stink. About every 3 months or so, I need to strip them, which is much better than twice a month when I was using "natural" detergents.

I am expanding my 4.0 stash so I can solely use pockets. I use the prefolds when she needs a diaper cream, and guess what, I don't even use a liner.

I use triple paste diaper cream when she is in a prefold if she needs it. I have yet to have a problem with it washing off or ruining the prefold. If it does, I can always boil it. (which is also how I strip all my diapers. 10 minutes for prefolds/MF inserts, and 3-5 minutes for pocket shells, we have no problems).

I don't use the triple paste on the pockets though, i'm leary about the suede cloth and the cream. 

But yeah, we use Tide Orginal powder and depending on how big or how dirty the load is, I use anywhere from 1/2 of line 1, to 3/4 of line one. I haven't filled it all the way up to line 1 yet, I don't think I need that much detergent because its a small load.

We run a quick rinse with no spin to soak the diapers. Then I run the heavy duty cycle with a prewash )no detergent), main wash detergent, extra rinse w/ vinegar. Then I run the normal cycle with no detergents or vinegar.

In total it akes about 2 1/2 hours for the whole cycle to complete, but I only have ti mess with the machine twice, so I really don't mind. 

littlemonaghan
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 3:17 PM

every other day, sometimes once every 3 days. 

it doesn't feel very time consuming though. I start it for the prerinse, that takes 10 minutes, then i run the heavy duty cycle and that is 2 hours, so then i run the normal cycle and that takes about 35 minutes. I only push buttons 3 times. lol.

my old routine was a lot worse. my old routine i had to restart the washer every time i wanted a rinse, my old machines didn't do prewashes or extra rinses. it was a pain in the ass and it took almost 4 1/2 hours to complete.

Quoting almondpigeon:

your laundry routine is as time consuming as mine was! how often do you wash?  i was doing it every other day. 

Quoting littlemonaghan:

almondpigeon
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM

yep.  that's what my problem is.  we bought a front loader 5ish years ago....one of the first models available & it doesn't have pre-rinse options.  i have to do everything manually --- even add extra water with a bucket! i'm seriously considering finding an old, used top loader just for diapers.

Quoting littlemonaghan:

every other day, sometimes once every 3 days. 

it doesn't feel very time consuming though. I start it for the prerinse, that takes 10 minutes, then i run the heavy duty cycle and that is 2 hours, so then i run the normal cycle and that takes about 35 minutes. I only push buttons 3 times. lol.

my old routine was a lot worse. my old routine i had to restart the washer every time i wanted a rinse, my old machines didn't do prewashes or extra rinses. it was a pain in the ass and it took almost 4 1/2 hours to complete.

Quoting almondpigeon:

Quoting littlemonaghan:

Rlambert6002
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Like everyone else mentioned generally the prefolds department stores sell aren't that great. I got mine from All Things Diapers online....they had the best price I could find and I've had no complaints. I know alot of people who use regular detergents with no problems and just strip occassionally. Alot of times stink problems are due to hard water more than a washing detergent or routine. I like to use the Honest detegent on my diapers on occassion because it is the best I've found yet at leaving them totally odorless...I'm talking no odor whatsoever. Someone mentioned vinegar as well...it is good as both a softener and helping get detergent residue out. Just keep in mind you shouldn't use vinegar if you have really hard water or your diapers will smell bad.

almondpigeon
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I've heard that about hard water.  I am completely ignorant, though, about what that really means.  How would I know if I have hard or soft water?

Quoting Rlambert6002:

Like everyone else mentioned generally the prefolds department stores sell aren't that great. I got mine from All Things Diapers online....they had the best price I could find and I've had no complaints. I know alot of people who use regular detergents with no problems and just strip occassionally. Alot of times stink problems are due to hard water more than a washing detergent or routine. I like to use the Honest detegent on my diapers on occassion because it is the best I've found yet at leaving them totally odorless...I'm talking no odor whatsoever. Someone mentioned vinegar as well...it is good as both a softener and helping get detergent residue out. Just keep in mind you shouldn't use vinegar if you have really hard water or your diapers will smell bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)