Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

If you have nursed past a year and worked outside the home...

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM
  • 28 Replies

I have been a SAHM with all three kids, with the exception of a few months when my DS was 8-12 months old, and that resulted in weaning at about 10 months. With #2, I weaned him at 12 months, but I didn't want to (pressure from DH who is now ex-DH.) This time, I want to allow him to self wean which means hopefully going to the 2 yr mark. However, I have to go back to work full time sometime after he turns 1.

I was wondering if any moms that work outside the home have any advice for me nursing past 1 year. Will I have to pump, or can I just nurse when I'm with him without losing supply? How can I make the transition as easy as possible for both of us? Right now, he's 7 mos old and nursing on demand, not a lot of solids yet.

Hannah, mom to 3 boys, 4 x  and  

CafeMom TickersCafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers 

by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Definitely start pumping to build your stash and keep up your supply. I've heard never to go more than six hours w/o pumping.

That's all ive got for you as with Isis I stayed home, and now I work but Hera is only six months. But I do know, that even though I'm working p/t, I wouldn't have been this successful w/o diligent pumping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
h_minkus
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Quoting jellyphish:

Definitely start pumping to build your stash and keep up your supply. I've heard never to go more than six hours w/o pumping.

That's all ive got for you as with Isis I stayed home, and now I work but Hera is only six months. But I do know, that even though I'm working p/t, I wouldn't have been this successful w/o diligent pumping.

Even after a year old? Don't some kids not even nurse that often past 1 year? I wish I had more experience with extended nursing :(

tansyflower
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM

my sister stopped pumping at work (she still pumped in the morning) at around 8 months or so.  BUT  she has high prolactin levels so only nursing three times a day plus one pumping session didnt hurt her supply, she just reverse cycled.  she stopped pumping at a year and her 16 month old just nurses in the morning and the evening now.  i am actually dropping my niece off at school (parent/teacher meetings are this evening)    because my sister cant go 13 hours without nursing or she gets clogged ducts!

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this
That might be true for a newborn, but it's absolutely unnecessary for an older baby, much less a child over 1.
Nursing is ALWAYS supply & demand. Your supply forever adjusts and you never just magically dry up, in spite of what popular myth might have you believe. Yes if you don't pump at work your supply will ADJUST to the lack of demand during that time, but your still going to have plenty of milk.

OP yes I nursed and worked full time with my older 2 kiddos, going back to work at 2 weeks PP. My oldest I think I quit pumping at work by 7 months and we breastfed til I weaned at her at 1. My next one I pumped til 11 months and then stopped, but continued breastfeeding for YEARS.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM
No it is completely unnecessary to pump to maintain supply while separated once breastfeeding is well established. That statement was incorrect.

Quoting h_minkus:

Quoting jellyphish:

Even after a year old? Don't some kids not even nurse that often past 1 year? I wish I had more experience with extended nursing :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
h_minkus
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting larissalarie:

That might be true for a newborn, but it's absolutely unnecessary for an older baby, much less a child over 1.
Nursing is ALWAYS supply & demand. Your supply forever adjusts and you never just magically dry up, in spite of what popular myth might have you believe. Yes if you don't pump at work your supply will ADJUST to the lack of demand during that time, but your still going to have plenty of milk.

OP yes I nursed and worked full time with my older 2 kiddos, going back to work at 2 weeks PP. My oldest I think I quit pumping at work by 7 months and we breastfed til I weaned at her at 1. My next one I pumped til 11 months and then stopped, but confined breastfeeding for YEARS.

Quoting jellyphish:

That's wonderful news! Back when I had my first son, I quit BFing at 10 months because I thought I was losing my milk due to working and pumping. If I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have weaned so early. I've always regretted it!!

AmberRose1122
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I pumped still at work so that I had milk for him while he was at the sitter, but not as much as I did before. I slowed down around 7-8 months with the pumping. I nursed him when we got home and then again at bed time until he was 2.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suebee3
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM

WHen I worked I would breastfeed in the morning, pumped at work, bf when I picked up baby, bf before bed and pumpeded before I went to bed.  Good Luck and hope it works out!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM
He's well under a year still.

Quoting larissalarie:

OP yes I nursed and worked full time with my older 2 kiddos, going back to work at 2 weeks PP. My oldest I think I quit pumping at work by 7 months and we breastfed til I weaned at her at 1. My next one I pumped til 11 months and then stopped, but continued breastfeeding for YEARS.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
h_minkus
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Yes, but I won't be returning to work until he is at least 1. :)

Quoting jellyphish:

He's well under a year still.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting jellyphish:

Hannah, mom to 3 boys, 4 x  and  

CafeMom TickersCafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)