Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Delayed cord cutting/clamping

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM
  • 41 Replies

My sister recently brought up delayed cord cutting to me since I'm due in 10 weeks. Not really sure on this because I haven't done a lot of research on it, I'm starting to read about it tonight but I wanted to get some opinions and maybe reasons why (if you did) you decided to delay cutting your babies cord? Also if you know some pros and cons of it I'd love to hear them! :)

by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:27 PM
3 moms liked this
We did. There's so many benefits. Decreased risk of clotting. More oxygen to the baby longer

If you're rh - less chances of blood cross contaminating.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM
The only thing I didn't like about it

TMI warning

Was the cord keep rubbing against my girly parts while waiting for it to stop pulsing and it was a not so comfortable feeling
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulJ
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

we delayed with both boys,

it contains T-cells that help fight cancer...they say you should store it...just in case, but that just in case will be less likely if the baby gets the blood now.

If you have a son and choose to circumcise then the possibility of him bleeding out is less as he will have 32% more blood in his system then a baby whose cord was clamped immediately (a newborn only needs to loos 1oz of blood to bleed out). Same if there is a possibility of baby needing surgery anytime soon after birth

It give baby more iron which helps prevent anemia in baby

It helps prevent hemorage in mother,

www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/cord-clamping-delaying-cord-clamping
www.gentlebirth.org/archives/lateClamping.html

I hope this helps!!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I think that it prevents babies from being anemic.  I've only read good things about it.  I told my doctor I wanted to do this when I was VBACing.  The doctor that ending up being on call jumped in for the delivery, I had never met him and NO he didn't do that.  That's to long for him to wait apparently.

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

The only "con" I know of is that it's inconvenient for doctors and many of them don't like doing it. But evidence clearly shows its benefits and OBs should be more concerned about the health of their patients than a mild inconvenience. It also keeps the baby on your chest, where he should be, instead of having him rushed away to a warmer.

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM
5 moms liked this

I did it, because it seems like the most biologically sound process. Meaning, it worked for our ancestors for eons and makes sense for how our bodies are designed. : ) The babies need that blood. And as long as the cord is attached and the placenta, baby is getting oxygen and everything he or she needs to transition gently and safely into the world. I love this video. It isn't about delayed cord clamping. It is about the "breast crawl", but it beautifully shows the biological reasons baby (who is not in distress or mom is not in distress) goes on  mom's belly immediately and should STAY THERE- it helps release the placenta, helps reduce bleeding, helps the breast feeding relationship, helps keep the oxytocin flowing (which helps with bonding, contractions to expel placenta and is the "love" hormone).... All of these pieces just fall into their place when left alone, except in case of emergency. : ) 

http://breastcrawl.org/

amyleigh80
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I have never heard of this but I would not be opposed to it either.  I say if you want to do it than go for it! it can't hurt!

taurusmom88
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

i havent done it, but i am this time around because of the reasons listed above.

littlelambe2
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
What all the ladies said. I've done it with both babies. And I'd do it again. My doctor practices evidence based medicine and its his routine to wait. There are so many awesome benefits and some non-convincing cons (impatient doctor, can't bank cord blood) that its a wonder why it isn't standard practice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)