Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Girls w/o earrings

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM
  • 38 Replies
If your infant girl does not have pierced ears, do you get surprised or even rude comments about it?
Multiple times now I've gotten surprised "that's a girl?! Her ears aren't pierced!" comments, and the tone ranges from just surprised to rude with a scoff. The smart ass in me wants to say "no, but she does have a vagina." But of course the don't-be-an-asshole part of me just comments "well, she hasn't asked for earring yet."

Anyway, I find it odd that people react like I'm a freak for not putting holes in her ears. Do you get that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjrex87
by Mindy on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

That's crazy! I haven't gotten any comments that weird yet, but I do get a lot of people calling DD a boy and then, "Oh...well I just assumed since she's wearing brown..." Yea...brown with ruffles...or hearts...or flowers...lol.

maggiandmike
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM
My girls don't have their ears pierced, and they won't until they can care for them. I don't get comments, though because my babies have hair. Lots of hair. And since three of them have been girls, they always have bows in. :) no one asks if they're girls. They always know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiandmike
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM
When dd was a baby people would ask when I planned on piercing her ears- I always said maybe when she's older IF she wants them done she could for a b day gift.

My ears always got super infected so I am nervous about dds. And I have enough to worry about w/o worrying about keeping her little ear piercings clean:)
hapababies
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM
My ears were pierced when I was a month old and people still called me a boy.
Both of my boys are constantly called girls even though (I think) I dress them as boys. One person had the nerve to ask me "are you sure?" when I corrected them. I was in too much shock to give them a true smart ass answer that they deserved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TDausman
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM
I surprisingly haven't gotten rude comments. Just a lot of why nots. And well, my ears aren't pierced any more either because it is too much work to take care of them. I don't have time for that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fellie
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Neither of my girls (6 & 3) have their ears pierced. I wouldn't do something like that to their bodies without their permission, so I waited. When I tell people that they look at me odd. It kinda bugs me.

alteschulemom
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

My mom pierced my ears at 8 months old.  I'm allergic to the metals and can't wear earrings now.  The holes are up to high and uneven now as a result of the early piercing.  I really wish she hadn't done it.  Because even if I could wear earrings the holes aren't right.

I won't pierce a babies ears.  I believe in gender neutral parenting anyway so not even an option for me.

Mrs.Salz
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Wow that's rude.

sreichelt26
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Weird. I've never gotten any comments about it. But I do hear complaints from friends who have pierced their baby's ears that they still get called boys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)